[ Home Page ]    [ History ]    [ The Project ]

Project Log:  Sunday, October 24, 2010

It might sound strange to say that I'd been looking forward to sanding the interior, but it was true.  With the bulk of the demolition complete--except for dealing with the forward water tank--I'd had more than enough of the state of the interior and was ready to start cleaning it up and preparing for rebuilding steps.

I started in the main saloon.  The hull, undersides of the sidedecks, and cabin trunk sides were covered with contact adhesive that had once held the vinyl liner material in place, and the bilges and areas once covered by lockers were painted out with gray paint or gelcoat.  Bits of ripped tabbing, left over from my removal of various interior components, covered some areas, and the general state of things was dingy and dirty.

Note:  these "before" pictures date back to September 2010.  Since that time, I'd cleaned up the worst of the mud seen in the bilge.



Over the course of several hours, I sanded the entire area--including the passageway to the forward cabin--to remove adhesive residue, silt, rough areas, and to generally prepare all surfaces for any future work.  I aimed for a general clean-up of the surfaces, and made no attempts to remove every last bit of old adhesive or paint, but enough that the surfaces would be ready to accept whatever treatment I might eventually choose.  If, in the course of reconstruction, I found a need to tab new structure into the hull or underside of the deck, I'd further prepare the immediate mating surfaces then.

The original main bulkheads featured varnished teak veneer, which was in marginal condition.  Earlier, I'd decided to reface the remaining bulkheads with new material, since the original surfaces were peppered with fastener holes, shadows of long-removed equipment, and were generally not in acceptable condition for re-use.

To that end, I sanded the bulkhead surfaces to remove the old varnish and prepare the surfaces for future adhesive bonding and so forth.  Besides:  getting rid of the old surface finish (here and elsewhere) simply made me feel better.  I left unsanded some small areas where I'd made reference marks on the bulkheads; these demarked the height and width of the original L-shaped dinette seats.





The overhead was clean, bare fiberglass, and hadn't been covered with adhesive since the original overhead panels were vinyl-covered plywood sheets screwed into the overhead.  I wasn't yet sure how I planned to address finishing/covering the overhead, but to prepare for the possibility that I'd be bonding anything to it, I decided to lightly scuff the surface while I was in the mode.

All in all, a very satisfying day's work.  I couldn't wait to continue with the other interior spaces.


Total Time Today:  4 hours

< Previous | Next >

The Motorsailer Project
Site design and content ©2010-2015 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.

Please notify me of broken or missing links or other site issues.
You can always find every day's project log links on The Project page.

Questions and comments | Home Page
V1.0 went live on 8/26/10