[ Home Page ]    [ History ]    [ The Project ]

Project Log:  Sunday, September 18, 2011

The paint in the forward locker had dried overnight, so to begin I installed the Raritan Hold'n'Treat system with four 3/8" bolts.  Then I could forget about it for a while, till it was time to make additional connections.  I covered all the inlets and outlets with tape to prevent any contamination within (not shown).

After confirming a few things with my original galley template, I laid out the cuts on a section of 1/2" cherry plywood that I'd already cut to the correct overall height (31-1/2"--which, along with the 4" toekick and 1/2" countertop added up to the desired height of 36") and made the end cuts, cutting just outside my layout lines so the piece would not be so tight as to be difficult to fit. 

Then, I test-fit the piece in position.  After ensuring it was level and plumb, I secured it temporarily with several screws, as I'd have to take it out and replace it at least once as I continued the process of galley layout and internal construction.


With the actual cabinet front now in place, I struck level lines across the top of the front and outboard towards the hull on the adjacent bulkheads, then cut and installed support cleats to these lines for the countertop.



I installed new temporary support blocks on the hull for the outboard edge of the countertop--the ones I'd used for the template were too high, as the template had been 1/4" vs. 1/2" plywood--and then used the countertop template to cut the actual countertop from 12mm marine Meranti plywood.


With the actual pieces in place, I set about recreating the layout I'd drawn on the mockup, though this time for real.  Working again from the dimensional information I had for each component (refer, stove, and sink), and also from the layout on the template, I drew in various cut lines and the positions of several bulkheads I'd be installing to define the storage area for the refer unit, as well as the stove enclosure.  I'd carefully confirm all these measurements against the actual units before making any cuts.


With other things on the docket for the afternoon, this brought me to the end of the work session for the day, much as I wanted to continue.

Total Time Today:  3 hours

< Previous | Next >

The Motorsailer Project
Site design and content ©2010-2015 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.

Please notify me of broken or missing links or other site issues.
You can always find every day's project log links on The Project page.

Questions and comments | Home Page
V1.0 went live on 8/26/10