[ Home Page ]    [ History ]    [ The Project ]

Project Log:  Monday, January 2, 2012

Using the template I made at the end of the day, I cut a shelf for the port side of the engine room/tankage space.   I cut the shelf to 10-1/2" wide at the ends, leaving ample clearance for access to the inspection ports on the tank tops. I used leftover 1/2" cherry plywood for the shelving, as that's what I had on hand.

Using the same plywood template I'd used for the port side, I created a template of the matching starboard shelf, scribing the plywood to fit.  The level and clamp in this photo are holding the thin plywood from sagging in the center.

I transferred the template shape to more 1/2" plywood and cut out the starboard shelf.

To finish off the shelves before installation, I glued on a plywood doubler at  the inboard, unsupported edge of the shelves, which would help stiffen the plywood over its length.  Then, I secured a plywood fiddle to each shelf with epoxy, chosen for additional strength.   These utility shelves would eventually be painted, so I didn't worry about my epoxy fingerprints.  the selection of cherry plywood as the material was simply because of its availability.  I would have liked to have built these shelves from 18mm Meranti plywood, and would have if I'd had any on hand, but wasn't about to buy a sheet just for this purpose.

To help support the shelves, I epoxied mahogany cleats to the hull at the centerpoint of the shelves.  There was no need for a full-length cleat.


To support the narrow, recessed shelves at the top ends of the longitudinal pilothouse bulkheads, I required an additional cleat, located on the back side of the bulkheads.  In turn, I placed each bulkhead in position and, working from the narrow space inside--though there was plenty of access--I marked the bulkhead beneath the inner edge of the shelf.

With the marks made, it was a simple matter to cut and install hardwood cleats on the bulkheads with glue and screws.  I used panhead screws here (normally I use flat head screws countersunk flush) as these cleats would never be seen, and this saved me a couple steps in the installation process.


I knew there'd be wiring and hoses running through the tankage spaces, and to prepare I installed a series of wire tie mounts in a final step before painting these areas; the mounts didn't stick well to painted surfaces, so I took the opportunity now though I didn't know exactly how or where the runs might be.


Behind-the-scenes work on this day revolved around continuing fine-tuning of the electrical panels as I approached the final specifications and near-future ordering; I'd need the panel details finalized so I could mock up and eventually build the helm and navigation console.  Details on the panels to follow when appropriate.

Total Time Today:  3.75 hours

< Previous | Next >

The Motorsailer Project
Site design and content ©2010-2015 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.

Please notify me of broken or missing links or other site issues.
You can always find every day's project log links on The Project page.

Questions and comments | Home Page
V1.0 went live on 8/26/10