[ Home Page ]    [ History ]    [ The Project ]

Project Log:  Friday, February 21, 2014

Earlier in the week, I continued work on the newly-stripped handrails, starting with a sealer coat of varnish and followed by additional coats, one per day, on both sides and all edges.



Hoping to continue varnish work on the bulwarks and rubrails, I started off sanding, vacuuming, and solvent-washing the planks so they'd be ready for varnish when I was.  I managed to drop a gallon of paint thinner on the floor, making a fine mess.  However, although the prep got done, I didn't manage to get back to them before the end of the day. 

For now, however, I had enough buildup on the caprails, which meant I could move on with my main goal:  installing the pulpits and stanchions.

Apparently I was in a clumsy mode, because I dropped a pile of lifeline stanchions as I was bringing them to the boat.  This shattered several of the faded and UV-baked plastic top fittings on the stanchions, which I found less than pleasing.  So before I had hardly even gotten started, I had to scramble and search for replacement tops, as I had to know whether I should continue installing these stanchions or whether I had to move in another direction.  These stanchions wouldn't have been easily replaced, as they were quite short (thanks to the sturdy bulwarks), and each was welded to its base at a specific angle to keep the stanchions essentially vertical when attached to the well-sheered caprail. 


In all, I'd shattered three of the stanchion tops, leaving five unscathed (the aftermost set--numbers 9 and 10 near the cockpit--featured a different top style).  Fortunately, I found some new tops that I could live with; it's not as if the old plastic tops were anything to write home about, though I would have preferred to have them all intact.  In the event, I ordered eight of the new stainless tops, which would fit over the stanchion tubes, since I couldn't very well leave three one way and five another, then tried to put the irritation behind me and move on with the installation.

I started with the bow pulpit.  In this instance--and in all instances--I slightly repositioned the bases vis-a-vis the original locations, since I knew there were several old fastener studs still in place beneath the caprail that I'd been unable to remove originally (leaving cut-off remnants in place).  The original construction provided aluminum plates on the undersides of the bulwark tops, into which the pulpit and stanchion fasteners could be tapped, since there was no access to these areas from beneath.

After repositioning the pulpit, I drilled and tapped new holes, and secured the pulpit with new fasteners and plenty of sealant, then cleaned up the excess. 


From here, I continued aft, eventually installing all ten lifeline stanchions, five per side.  In each case, I slightly repositioned the bases so I could drill new fastener holes, taking care to keep the old holes covered by the bases.  While technically these installations were not difficult, it was just one of those days where nothing really clicked, and I felt the installations took a long time, and each was like pulling teeth.





After managing--again--to let a container of paint thinner fall from my hands, this time in the cockpit, I decided to finish up the installation with the stern pulpit another time.  In all these years, while I'd come close to dropping containers of solvent every so often, I'd never actually done so, and here I did it twice in one day.  (Never mind the stanchions.) 

That's just the sort of day it was, I guess, but at least the stanchions were installed.  Onwards and upwards.

Total Time Today:  7 hours

< Previous | Next >

The Motorsailer Project
Site design and content ©2010-2015 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.

Please notify me of broken or missing links or other site issues.
You can always find every day's project log links on The Project page.

Questions and comments | Home Page
V1.0 went live on 8/26/10