[ Home Page ]    [ History ]    [ The Project ]

Project Log:  Saturday, October 30, 2010

Late Friday, I sponged out the leftover water that remained in the bilge from the water tank's removal, and cleaned up the other spoils remaining in the bilge, including (inevitably) more mud from the hidden area beneath the engine foundation/drip pan.  I was starting to think I might need to cut a hole in that so I could clean out the area beneath once and for all, but that was for later in any case.

While I was at it, I prepared tools, cords, and breathing equipment for my planned work session on Saturday.

In the morning, I got to work in the forward cabin.  I was most anxious to clean up the mess remaining from the old water tank supports, as well as to get rid of the remaining blue-green adhesive blobs (which had held on the plywood ceiling support strips) that I'd not been able to chisel off the hull earlier.  My goal for the day was to more or less finish the bulk interior sanding/surface prep, which would make me feel much better and, to my eyes, greatly improve the appearance of the inside of the boat.  It's that obvious sign of progress, and of things happening, that makes this otherwise nasty  job so satisfying to me somehow.  To me, a cleaned-and-sanded bare hull is a thing of beauty and opportunity.  From chaos comes the beginning of some semblance of order.

Irrelevant ruminations aside, I spend the whole work day on the sanding.   The forward cabin needed the most work, what with the various old strips of tabbing from its original structures and the blobs of gunk on the inside of the hull.  However, the area cleaned up quickly and well.  I started at bilge level and worked my way up; this way, I moved progressively farther away from the rapidly increasing piles of dust and debris. 

As before, I concentrated on removing rough edges, obvious protrusions, and old tabbing, and scuffed as necessary all other areas to remove old adhesive or otherwise prepare the old paint or other surface for whatever was going to come next.  I also lightly sanded the chainlocker (which was bare fiberglass and relatively smoothly-finished), and the overhead.  I sanded the wooden bulkheads to remove the old varnish and prepare them for their eventual new coverings.

When the major work on the hull sides was complete, I scraped and sanded away the adhesive remaining on the inside of the cabin trunk, where the old vinyl liner had been installed.





Next, I cleaned up the hanging locker, directly aft of the forward cabin to starboard.  I'd already removed various shelves and support cleats during an earlier stage, and now I worked on scuffing up the existing paint to an extent where I was comfortable with its appearance and state of readiness for new paint or whatever else I might install there.  Should I find a need to fiberglass something in place later, I'd remove additional paint in the applicable areas at that time.


Similarly, I sanded out the head compartment, cleaning up the old gray paint against the hull and removing various adhesive and foam residues from the surfaces.  Up beneath the gunwale, a plywood panel had been installed through which some bolts had been passed to hold a heavy bronze vented loop (siphon break) in place.  I'd previously ripped out that unit, leaving ragged holes in the plywood.  However, the plywood was captured by the bolts securing the external teak rubrail, so I left it in place for now, planning to remove it later when I removed and rebedded the rubrail.

(Aside:  this was a task I hardly wanted to do, but I didn't like the looks of the sealant beneath the rail--there were many gaps--and it seemed it'd be foolish to proceed with rebuilding the interior before I rebedded this rail, given the clear access I had to all the through bolts.)


Now I could move on to the pilothouse once more.  Last week, I'd sanded everything below, and including, side deck level,  leaving the vertical bulkheads for another time.  Now was another time, so I scraped away excess adhesive and cleaned up the inside of the pilothouse with a sander. 

From the bilge, I could reach as far as the bottom edges of the pilothouse windows, and at first I thought I'd leave the remainder till I could install some sort of temporary sole in the pilothouse.  However, my desire to rid the boat of all that nasty, loose, wrinkled brown contact adhesive got the better of me, and I found I could clean up the remaining areas--up as far as the overhead--by leaning in through the windows from outside.  Phew.  I left the overhead for another time.




All that remained in terms of interior cleanout, unbuilding, and surface prep was the area directly beneath the cockpit, where the diesel fuel tank resided.  I needed to get some containers into which to siphon whatever fuel (and other) was in the tank so I could remove the tank (for inspection and cleaning, if not replacement) and clean up this final area.  I planned to do this soon.

Total Time Today:  5.5 hours

< Previous | Next >

The Motorsailer Project
Site design and content ©2010-2015 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.

Please notify me of broken or missing links or other site issues.
You can always find every day's project log links on The Project page.

Questions and comments | Home Page
V1.0 went live on 8/26/10