[ Home Page ]    [ History ]    [ The Project ]

Project Log:  Saturday, February 19, 2011

Early in the week, during a slack moment, I cut some scraps of 18mm plywood to correct the error in my aft pilothouse beam support blocks, which mistake I detailed in the previous log entry.  I epoxied the extra sections in place and left things to cure.

The second photo shows a mockup of how the blocks, beam, and side supports tied together.  Later, when the support blocks were permanently installed, I might extend the sides up with additional blocks to better secure the beam in its pocket and make up for the 2" "mistake" I had to fill in the original blocks.


With the support blocks now repaired, cured, and sanded as need be, my first task of the day was to install them in the boat.  After some brief layout, I secured the blocks in place with thickened epoxy adhesive, using a couple dabs of hot melt glue to hold the blocks while the epoxy cured since I couldn't find a successful means of clamping.  I used additional thickened epoxy to create broad fillets on all sides of the blocks for additional strength.

Later, I installed three sections of biaxial tabbing on each block--forward side and bottom, as seen below, and aft side (not seen in these photos).



With more pour foam now in stock, I finished up the expanding foam installation to secure the starboard engine room tankage.  I saw no reason to bring the foam up to the very top of the tanks, and it seemed wasteful to do so, so I left a space of a few inches.


I lugged the large forward water tank up into the boat, temporarily storing it in the forward cabin.  I had more work ahead before I could finalize the installation, but wanted to be sure that I got the tank into the boat before some construction stage or another closed off an opening that might prevent it from passing through, and also to ensure that the tank fit as required.

In the photo, the tank is well aft of its final position, which would be near the forward end of the space.  I'd address its final installation soon.

I was closing in on completing the underpinnings of the pilothouse sole.  To continue, I built the forward transverse support, which spanned the distance across the forward bulkhead.  As with the other portions of this support structure, I built the beam from laminated plywood--partly for the strength and resistance to bending this material would exhibit, but also because I had sufficient scrap plywood on hand to complete the job.

After measuring and cutting sections to fit, I built the beam in two sections:  first, a 1-1/2" thick base section (three thicknesses of 12mm marine Meranti plywood) that I epoxied and screwed together, then epoxied and screwed to the bulkhead itself. 


Then, I constructed a second section, into which I cut notches to hold the removable interim beams that would run longitudinally between the forward and after beams to support the sole material.

I made the forward beam 4" in depth to allow for plenty of support material beneath the notches I cut for the 2" deep interim beams, overlong blanks for which I glued up from two thicknesses of 18mm marine plywood; I'd cut these to an exact length once I had both the forward and after transverse beams in place.

I left the final three glue-ups to cure overnight.


Total Time Today:  6.75 hours

< Previous | Next >

The Motorsailer Project
Site design and content ©2010-2015 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.

Please notify me of broken or missing links or other site issues.
You can always find every day's project log links on The Project page.

Questions and comments | Home Page
V1.0 went live on 8/26/10