[ Home Page ]    [ History ]    [ The Project ]

Project Log:  Saturday, June 11, 2011

I was ready to continue with the work on the newly-molded fuel fill recesses--that is, with the jumboization of the port unit to accommodate three fills, rather than the two for which I'd mistakenly built it.  (The starboard unit required only two fills.)

After making various measurements, I determined that I required an additional five inches, so I laid out a five inch strip on the newly-built center section that I'd laid up a couple weeks earlier.  I also laid out a cutline down the center of the port unit.  Then, I made the cuts, trimming the center section to a five inch width and splitting the other piece down the center.


I installed the three pieces back over one of the original molds to hold things in the proper position and orientation; I used some small dabs of hot glue to hold the pieces tightly to the mold.

The cutlines were imperfect, so in the small gaps between the cuts I installed some thickened epoxy to fill the gaps, which would create a more-or-less smooth surface on the exposed side of the part; the molded surface of these parts would require a certain amount of fairing and preparation before painting anyway.

This complete, I tabbed the pieces together with two layers of stitched biaxial tabbing, plus an additional piece down the center for good measure.  I set the mold aside to cure.  The final picture in this series shows the difference in size between the enlarged port piece and the original-sized starboard one.


Sometime later in the day, I determined the new tabbing had cured sufficiently for me to unmold the newly-enlarged part.  I chose to unmold it early since I'd not re-waxed the mold before proceeding, and I didn't want there to be any chance of the part sticking to the mold when it had fully cured.  Once I'd removed the part from the mold, I set it aside to continue to cure.

Meanwhile, I turned to the bulkheads in the main cabin, which I was ready to cover with their new cherry veneer.  Armed with six sheets of 1/4" cherry plywood, I decided to spread the sheets around the shop so I could choose (from a distance) which ones featured the grain patterns I wanted to be in the most exposed section of the interior, as well as to match various sheets as closely to one another as possible for a consistent appearance.

There were two sheets with a very similar grain pattern that didn't look too "manufactured", and I selected these sheets for the forward bulkheads.  One sheet was clearly different from the other five in color tones, so I immediately rejected that one for some other place in the boat; the remaining two sheets also featured grain patterns nearly identical to one another, though with a grain I didn't like as well as the first two, so I selected those two sheets for the aft bulkheads.  I'd determined, unfortunately, that the two smaller bulkheads on the starboard side could not be made out of the same sheet of plywood--it was close, but close didn't help.

I made paper patterns of each bulkhead section, cutting the paper a bit smaller than the bulkhead and using a 2" wide steel rule and compass set at 2" to mark the shape on the paper.  Then, I transferred each shape to a sheet of plywood and cut it out.

Port Forward

Starboard Forward

Starboard Aft

Port Aft

With all four pieces cut and test-fit, I spent the last part of the day preparing for and applying a sealer coat of varnish to the exposed surfaces.  If I'd had time, I probably would have chosen to install the plywood immediately and varnish afterwards, but it had grown late and I knew I'd have to do the installation another day, and it was easier to do the varnish on the bench anyway.


Total Time Today:  5.5 hours

< Previous | Next >

The Motorsailer Project
Site design and content ©2010-2015 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.

Please notify me of broken or missing links or other site issues.
You can always find every day's project log links on The Project page.

Questions and comments | Home Page
V1.0 went live on 8/26/10