[ Home Page ]    [ History ]    [ The Project ]

Project Log:  Friday, October 7, 2011

Now that the backing blocks for the through hulls were in place, I could complete the installation.  Briefly, I sanded the epoxy fillets around the blocks, and used a drum sander to clean up the holes just a bit.

From outside the boat, I taped the through hull fittings in place, then went inside and threaded on one of the flange adapters so I could drill the holes for the through bolts.  With each base properly aligned, I drilled the holes from the inside, inserting a bolt into each hole one drilled to ensure alignment through the process.

Outside, I milled countersinks so the flat head fasteners would be flush or slightly recessed with the hull.  Then, I cleaned up and prepared all areas.  I pre-assembled the ball valves onto the flange bases before installation.

I installed the through hulls and fittings with 3M 4200 polyurethane sealant. Outside, I began with the mushroom fittings, which I heavily coated with the sealant and inserted into the hull.  4200 is stiff enough to hold the fittings, but I installed a strip of tape to be sure they wouldn't fall out while I was working inside.

Inside, I applied additional sealant around the protruding stem, around the bolt holes, and generally around the perimeter of the flange fitting.  I threaded on the fittings, then aligned the bolt holes and inserted, from inside, three place-holder bolts to keep the flange in place while I tightened the mushroom from outside, for which I used a special tool.



Then, I gooped up the bronze through bolts and inserted them from outside, before heading back into the boat to install nuts and washers and tighten things up. 

Afterwards, I cleaned up the excess sealant inside and out.  Later, I came back and cut off the excess bolt length inside (no picture of this at this time, sorry).




Total Time Today:  1.25 hours

< Previous | Next >

The Motorsailer Project
Site design and content ©2010-2015 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.

Please notify me of broken or missing links or other site issues.
You can always find every day's project log links on The Project page.

Questions and comments | Home Page
V1.0 went live on 8/26/10