[ Home Page ]    [ History ]    [ The Project ]

Project Log:  Saturday, August 18, 2012

Starting with the easy tasks, I tied up the exhaust hose loop inside the cockpit coaming, securing the hose to the wire tie mount I installed earlier.

Growing weary of constantly opening and closing the after end of the engine room, with the requirement to remove and store not only the floorboards but also the interim supports and the heavy after cross beam--not to mention the increasing discomfort of access therein--I decided to finish up a couple final tasks in the area, which hopefully would limit my need for future access to those areas.

The last "major" installation in this tight area aft of the engine room proper was the cockpit scuppers.  Preparing ahead for this installation, I'd ordered hose, clamps, and new scupper fittings, so the task was not overly challenging--though access, particularly on the busy port side, fell somewhere short of easy or fun.

While I would normally choose to wait till after painting to install hardware fittings, in this case the always-developing order of the project was demanding that I complete these installations now.  I'd just paint around the scupper fittings when the time came.  In the new cockpit configuration that still lay ahead, these fittings would be hidden from view in any event.

I chose stainless steel barbed fittings for the job.  After cleaning up the molded-in recesses for the scuppers, I applied heavy beads of sealant to the underside of the flange and portion of the threads, then pressed the fittings into place from above.


From below, I threaded on the securing nuts and tightened them, holding the hose barb with locking pliers while turning the nut with a wrench. Afterwards, I cleaned up the excess sealant above and below as required.


Using 1-1/2" ID wire-reinforced hose, I cut and installed the simple hose runs.  Later, to keep out debris, I taped over the scupper openings on deck.


The wires from the autopilot pump and rudder feedback sensor, which I'd led through a chase leading forward from the after steering room, were dangling loose and needed to be dealt with now.  This led me to consider the location for the autopilot computer box, to which these wires would ultimately connect.  The logical and convenient location for this was inside the port utility space, outboard of the steering console.

To lead the wires safely to this area, I prepared a length of hose as a conduit, and fed the wires through.  The autopilot pump's built-in wire harness was not long enough, so I extended it with #12 wire, which suited the amperage needs of the length of the run according to the manual.  In addition to my normal heat-shrink connectors, I covered the splice with an additional section of heat shrink, seen before installation in the lefthand photo below.

The rudder sensor wire was abundantly long, and required no extension.  Friction within the hose made it surprisingly time-consuming to feed the three wires through despite plenty of inside diameter.

I led the new conduit from the space beneath the cockpit over to the port utility space, keeping it clear of obstructions.  Then, I led the wires forward to where the autopilot computer would be mounted, and secured the wires throughout their runs as required.


I mounted the AC12 autopilot computer in the chosen space, which offered reasonably good access for various wiring connections.  I'd work on that in the near future.


Total Time Today:  4.25 hours

< Previous | Next >

The Motorsailer Project
Site design and content ©2010-2015 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.

Please notify me of broken or missing links or other site issues.
You can always find every day's project log links on The Project page.

Questions and comments | Home Page
V1.0 went live on 8/26/10