[ Home Page ]    [ History ]    [ The Project ]

Project Log:  Saturday, July 7, 2012

I spent part of the morning on some final mast paint preparations, moving the masts across the yard away from the building, masking the remaining hardware, and preparing the paint and other materials.  It still looked like a good weather window coming up, and I was looking forward to completing this job.  At the end of the day, I covered both spars with polyethylene tubing to help keep dew from settling on them, as my first step before painting would be to sand once more, and I wanted to get started early.

From storage, I dug out the spreader tube from the mizzen mast and cleaned it up and sanded it so I could paint that (along with the new mainmast spreaders) at the same time. 


Back up in the boat, I started work on the final hoses required for the engine heat exchanger's connection to the water heater and coolant tank.  At first glance, this was a simple chore, but as I prepared to lead a hose from the engine room to the remote coolant tank above, I realized that I had better figure out some other hose runs first--most notably the fuel fill hose that had to lead from the same compartment back to the aft centerline fuel tank.

Since the fuel fill hose was larger and stiffer, places where I could run it through this increasingly complicated little area were limited.  The best place was inboard of the water heater, but to run it there I needed to use a hole saw to cut partially through the plywood support for the water heater, as this was limiting the space available for the hose.  Fortunately, this went easily, and after installing some chafe gear on the fuel hose I led it through and connected it to the tank, leaving the other end long pending final installation of the fuel fill panel in the side of the pilothouse.


While I was at it, I led the vent line for this tank through the same general area, securing it along the  way as needed and leaving the forward end long for now.


Now I could run the two 5/8" hoses required for the engine's coolant tank.  The first hose led from the bottom of the slim green heat exchanger (part of the heating system), where I'd previously installed a hose stub and valve, and then the return line from the coolant tank ran back to the engine itself, to the second of two fittings installed for this purpose.



Finally, I pulled the air intake hose for the diesel boiler out of its box and checked to see how I could lead it to the connection on the boiler.  I found I could lead it behind the support where I installed the fuel filter and valve for the boiler, and this meant the intake wouldn't interfere with the rubber hose leading the boiler nearby.  I'd been waiting to install a service valve in this length of hose till I could determine it wouldn't interfere with the air intake, but with that question resolved I cut the hose and installed an inline shutoff valve, which I secured just above the fuel lines below.  This valve, along with another one in the system on the other side of the circulation pump, would allow the boiler or pump to be removed from the system if needed without having to drain the entire system.


Total Time Today:  5.75 hours

< Previous | Next >

The Motorsailer Project
Site design and content ©2010-2015 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.

Please notify me of broken or missing links or other site issues.
You can always find every day's project log links on The Project page.

Questions and comments | Home Page
V1.0 went live on 8/26/10