[ Home Page ]    [ History ]    [ The Project ]

Project Log:  Friday, July 13, 2012

The day's first order of business was to move the masts back outdoors; I'd left them in the shop all week.  Moving the masts out was easier than bringing them in had been, since now the paint was cured enough to handle.  I set the spars outside on sawhorses covered with cloths to protect the paint from inadvertent damage.

I'd been thinking of starting the new structural work in the cockpit, but didn't have plastic sheeting on hand that I needed to wrap up the interior and other parts of the boat against the dust this work would create, so I postponed that project yet again.  Obviously I didn't really want to do that job, but I couldn't push it off much longer.

I pulled out the rudder feedback sensor required for the autopilot, with ideas of working on its installation.  While I didn't expect the installation to be difficult, I discovered that to secure the transmitter rod to the steering arm I'd need a metric tap that I didn't have, so I made a note to order one and moved in another direction.

After much thought and consideration during earlier days spent working on the diesel heating system, I'd settled on a route for the final hoses, which needed to run from the fan heater in the pilothouse to the one in the saloon, and then return to tee into the system at the aft end of the engine room.  The only way to run the hose between the fan heaters was to lead it down through the helm console and then through the main bulkhead and into the dinette cabinetry, where I could then lead the hose to the fan heater located in the center of the dinette.

Taking into account various other installations and obstructions, I determined where to drill the hole through the console and into the utility space outboard of the engine room on the port side.  Then, I led a 3/4" hose through the new opening, adding a length of larger hose as chafing gear and also as a bend radius limiter (to avoid kinking the heating hose).  I led one end of this hose aft, securing it along the way to the inside of the cabinet, and connected it to the outlet side of the pilothouse fan heater.  Here, I also clipped an aquastat sensor to the line, which, once wired up, would prevent the fan heater from blowing air till the water temperature reached a pre-set point (about 120°, I think).


I led the other end of the hose down through the bottom of the console, through another length of chafing gear, and down towards the lower corner of the engine room, where I'd locate the through holes to lead this hose (and the heater return) into the dinette.

I made a few measurements, then from inside the dinette used a hole saw to cut two holes large enough for the 1-1/2" ID rubber hose that I was using as chafe gear and conduit for the heater hose.  Similarly, I cut an additional pair of holes through the bulkhead dividing the locker space beneath the dinette, allowing me to run two lengths of the large hose through the entire area, creating a protective conduit for the heater hose within.  Before continuing, I coated the new cuts inside these holes with epoxy, which conveniently coincided with lunch break; in the warm weather the epoxy would cure enough to allow me to continue afterwards.


Later, I inserted the two lengths of 1-1/2" hose, then ran the supply line from the dinette back to the engine room, where I connected it to the hose leading from the pilothouse fan heater through an elbow.  Then, I led the return line through the other conduit, eventually securing it along the port side of the engine room on its way aft to its final connection back to the other side of the system.  (That summer valve is crooked and driving me crazy...I'd have to fix that soon.)




This completed the hose runs for the heating system.  Still ahead, I'd need to deal with the air intake and boiler exhaust, complete the fuel line, and install all the wiring related to the system, but it was a relief to have the major hose runs complete.

Next, I ran the fuel supply and return lines from the port tank, which were the longest lines required and also the final hoses I'd need to run in and out of the port utility space next to the engine room.  Some time ago, I'd prepared ahead for this (and other) hose runs by preinstalling wire tie mounts beneath the cockpit deck, so running the pair of hoses was relatively straightforward.  Where the hoses exited from the port side to lead down beneath the cockpit, I ran them through other lengths of hose to protect the fuel lines from chafe. 


I would have liked to continue with some of the other fuel lines, but the two long runs used up my supply of 5/16" fuel hose, so I'd order more and continue later.

Total Time Today:  6.25 hours

< Previous | Next >

The Motorsailer Project
Site design and content ©2010-2015 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.

Please notify me of broken or missing links or other site issues.
You can always find every day's project log links on The Project page.

Questions and comments | Home Page
V1.0 went live on 8/26/10