[ Home Page ]    [ History ]    [ The Project ]

Project Log:  Friday, June 22, 2012

Earlier in the week, I received my new booms, goosenecks, vang, spreaders, and related hardware from my rigger, who'd been storing them for a few months following their completion earlier in the year.  After inspecting all the various pieces and parts, I stored them away for now.  Sorry for the washed out photo of the booms.  I didn't realize it was bad till after I'd wrapped and stored the booms on the wall, so I couldn't take a better photo.



With a few hours available, and a slew of new plumbing fittings and hose on hand, I decided to see about finishing up the main connections of the fresh water system.  All that really remained to do, other than water heater connections (which I'd do later), was to install the supply line from the tankage manifold, system filter, and connect these lines to the pump.

The 3/4" water hose I used for these sections was an annoyance.  At the slightest provocation, the hose would flatten (at best) or kink (at worst).  The hose seemed incapable of even the most basic runs without distortion.  The 1/2" version of this hose I used elsewhere was fine, and held its shape nicely.  So the initial part of the supply system didn't necessarily come out the way I'd hoped, and I suppose time would tell whether the partially flattened hose would be restrictive or not.  For the moment, I installed it and wrapped up the system, but I'd mull on it for a while and see whether I hated the whole setup or not.

I installed the main system filter inside the starboard pilothouse bulkhead where I could reach it for service.  Before choosing this location, I temporarily installed the tankage fill recess from the outside of the boat to ensure that its protrusion didn't affect my desired filter placement (it didn't).  Once the filter was in place, I ran the remaining hoses, teeing off the 3/4" line just before the electric water pump for the manual foot pump supply at the galley.

Before the main filter, I installed a strainer supplied with the water pump.  I'd initially planned this just before the pump itself, but upon reflection it seemed pointless to install it after the main filtration system, and made more sense it have it the first line of defense.  Wanting the strainer to face upwards, to make cleaning the mesh strainer easier, I secured it just inside one of the locker openings in the bulkhead, near the exit from the tankage manifold.

The miserable bend radius of the 3/4" hose meant that I had to make large loops with the hose everywhere.  I might try to find better hose that's more to my liking, or incorporate some elbow fittings to help make some of the corners.  I thought it would work the way it was, but just wasn't happy with the appearance and layout of things, nor with the kinky hose.



Down in the galley, I replaced the hose leading to the inlet side of the salt water foot pump.  Since this hose would connect directly to a seacock, I wanted it to be suitable hose for this use, rather than the clear polyethylene hose I'd originally installed here without thinking about it.  I'd feel much better with the heavy-wall exhaust hose, and since this water wasn't potable anyway, there was no need for the hose to be drinking water-safe.  I'd connect it, along with a line for a salt water deck wash system, to the nearby through hull later, after I did some more work in the locker.


Total Time Today:  2.75 hours

< Previous | Next >

The Motorsailer Project
Site design and content ©2010-2015 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.

Please notify me of broken or missing links or other site issues.
You can always find every day's project log links on The Project page.

Questions and comments | Home Page
V1.0 went live on 8/26/10