[ Home Page ]    [ History ]    [ The Project ]

Project Log:  Sunday, August 18, 2013

The caning had dried overnight, so with a sharp knife I trimmed away the excess from all the doors, after which I test-fit each door in its opening, marking each door with its location and which was the hinge side for future reference.  A few of the doors--they were rabbeted overlay doors--required that I increase the size of the rabbet along one or more of the edges in order to fit properly in the openings.  A saw blade's width, and one pass through the table saw, took care of this as needed.


I installed brass overlay hinges on each door, on the required side in each instance.  The spline securing the caning stood proud of the door frame, so I had to chisel it away in way of each hinge to allow them to fit flush. 

I predrilled and installed each hinge with brass screws.  On the opposite side of the door, I drilled a hole for the brass knobs I planned to use; I only had a few of these on hand, so I couldn't install them all, but I prepared the holes in any case.


Eventually, I worked my way through all the doors in this way.  I thought of beginning the doors' installation on board, but I didn't have many of the door catches I'd need to secure the doors, and hadn't made any backing blocks for the catches, so I decided to hold off on installation till I had the supplies on hand.

Total Time Today:  3.5 hours

< Previous | Next >

The Motorsailer Project
Site design and content ©2010-2015 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.

Please notify me of broken or missing links or other site issues.
You can always find every day's project log links on The Project page.

Questions and comments | Home Page
V1.0 went live on 8/26/10