[ Home Page ]    [ History ]    [ The Project ]

Project Log:  Saturday, September 14, 2013

Before moving on to the deck painting prep, I wanted to tie up the loose end that was the cabinet doors.  With the doors all built and hinges hung, all that remained for me to do was to install the doors on the cabinets themselves, and install roller catches to hold them closed.

Installing the doors was straightforward, as I'd already test-fit all the doors and pre-installed the hinges on the doors themselves.  To complete the job, I held the doors in place, predrilled screw holes at the hinge locations, and secured the hinges with 1/2" brass screws.  As needed, I also installed solid brass knobs on the doors; I'd run out of knobs during an earlier work session while installing the hinges.

In order to install the door catches I'd selected, I first needed to install backing blocks inside the cabinets at each door location, to provide a mounting surface for the catch.  I made up a couple dozen small mahogany blocks of the appropriate size, and glued and clamped them inside each door location where I wanted the catches, just to one side of the door's center.  I also installed the catches for the three upholstered backrest doors in the dinette, though I planned to leave those in storage for the time being.



While I waited for the glue to cure enough to continue, I cleaned up the shop a little, and vacuumed the decks and interior thoroughly to rid them of dust that had accumulated for some time--the first step towards pre-painting preparations. 

Afterwards, I removed the clamps from the glued-in backing blocks, and installed roller catches at each location.


With the catches to hold the doors closed, the cabin started to look really finished despite the long punch list of items remaining.  But now I'd feel better closing up the interior and moving on to the exterior paint work.



Installing the catches in some of the narrow openings in the galley and dinette posed special challenges thanks to the limited access, but I managed to get them all installed once I learned how I could twist my right-angle drill into spaces too small for even its special design.  Still, those narrow doors took longer to complete than all the other ones.



Total Time Today:  4.75 hours

< Previous | Next >

The Motorsailer Project
Site design and content ©2010-2015 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.

Please notify me of broken or missing links or other site issues.
You can always find every day's project log links on The Project page.

Questions and comments | Home Page
V1.0 went live on 8/26/10