[ Home Page ]    [ History ]    [ The Project ]

Project Log:  Saturday, February 23, 2013

Now that the overhead hatch in the pilothouse was trimmed out, I decided to continue with the other trim pieces required to wrap up the overhead, starting in the pilothouse.  All along I'd planned narrow trim pieces to cover any seams and screw locations in the overhead, as well as to finish off around various openings like the large pilothouse hatch.

Earlier, I'd prepared several lengths of 1-1/2" wide x 1/4" thick cherry, just rough dimensioned but not sanded or milled.  Beginning around the hatch opening, I methodically worked my way around the overhead, first framing out the opening from beneath to cover the seam between overhead and the new hatch trim.  As I went, I secured each piece of trim completely with screws and finish washers.

With the opening framed, I continued with the transverse pieces of trim required to hide the screws securing the overhead to the support cleats, and worked my way aft to the after bulkhead, with its full-width strip.  At this point, all the trim was cut to size and fully secured, giving a fair idea of how the end result would look despite the unfinished appearance of the raw stock. 



Sometime later, I'd have to figure out some additional trim around the overhead instrument box, but for now it wasn't a priority; the remaining trim made such a difference that I could live with the gap between the instruments and trim pending later attention.

I made reference marks to show me where (and, more importantly, where not) to mill rounded edges on the trim, then reluctantly removed all the new pieces, marking them boldly on their hidden sides as to location and orientation for future reference.  With all the trim removed once more, I went ahead and applied a sealer coat of varnish to the overhead hatch trim so that this trim would be ready once I wanted to reinstall the other trim pieces after finishing.


Back down in the shop, I milled rounded edges on the trim as needed, then sanded all the pieces smooth to 220 grit before applying the first of many coats of natural tung oil, my finish of choice for pesky little pieces of trim like these.

Total Time Today:  5.25 hours

< Previous | Next >

The Motorsailer Project
Site design and content ©2010-2015 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.

Please notify me of broken or missing links or other site issues.
You can always find every day's project log links on The Project page.

Questions and comments | Home Page
V1.0 went live on 8/26/10