[ Home Page ]    [ History ]    [ The Project ]

Project Log:  Saturday, January 19, 2013

I spent the day making up wiring connections, and running several new wires. To begin, I terminated all the remaining raw wires within the console, including the electronics wiring, which I'd set up in a separate area at the base of the console, incorporating a fuse block and two additional terminal blocks to conjoin properly the various wires.  Various components of the electronics suite were designed to be interconnected in a variety of ways, including what I chose:  to have the radar and sounder modules power up automatically when I turned on the main display, which required that a separate wire from each component be combined and tied into the main display power.

The instructions for the radar were clear that the radar shouldn't be powered up till all components were in place, including the scanner, and since that wouldn't happen till the masts were stepped sometime later, I omitted the fuse from the radar power supply, and left its power combining conductor detached from the terminal block for now.

In the top of the console, I installed a 12-volt outlet (the traditional cigarette lighter type), plus a 20 USB port for charging small devices, and ran and connected the wires as needed.   Since there was no access to these ports from beneath, thanks to the bulk of the throttle lever beneath the console, I used the cover plates to install them from above, and left enough slack in the wires to allow the ports to be pulled out for service if needed.  I positioned these outlets to be convenient to the dashboard.


On the port side, I ran several conductor pairs for additional circuits, including lighting, fans, and another USB charging port above the dinette.  I installed wire tie mounts and secured the conductors accordingly, with chafe gear where the wires passed through bulkheads and other openings.  I ran two circuits forward into the still-bare head compartment, where I left slack cable for eventual use.  I led these cables into the console and wiring area as needed.



On the port aft bulkhead in the saloon, I determined a position for a reading lamp (one of several I'd be installing on these new circuits) and, since it was basically alone, ran its own circuit from the nearby console.  Planning ahead, I also included a conductor for another cabin fan, though I didn't know how many I'd eventually install.


Back in the console, I made up the final terminations of most of the new wires, including tying all four cabin light circuits together through a terminal block with jumpers installed; then I led a single conductor from there to the circuit breaker in the main panel.  (seen on the four-gang terminal block to the right)

By the end of the day, I'd made up most of the final connections, though I had two circuits still loose in the cabinet.  In all cases, I used adhesive-lined heat shrink crimp connectors, and labeled the wires with circuit numbers at each end.  With several additional circuits yet to run, plus the main power feeds to the panel itself, there remained plenty of work and wire-tidying, but the system was coming together nicely.


Total Time Today:  6.5 hours

< Previous | Next >

The Motorsailer Project
Site design and content ©2010-2015 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.

Please notify me of broken or missing links or other site issues.
You can always find every day's project log links on The Project page.

Questions and comments | Home Page
V1.0 went live on 8/26/10