[ Home Page ]    [ History ]    [ The Project ]

Project Log:  Saturday, January 25, 2014

I sorted the various bulwark boards and arranged them in their proper order (top to bottom, aft to forward), starting with the port side.  I double-checked the fit of the half-lap joints to ensure they would go together properly; in one case the repairs I'd done to these areas after removal some time ago had left some lumps of epoxy that I needed to remove in order for the joint to fit correctly.

Starting at the aft end, since that was the direction the half laps ran, I prepared the hull to install the bulwarks.  At each existing fastener hole, leftover from the boards' original installation, I milled a small countersink to provide a little extra reservoir of sealant right at the hole. 


I applied sealant around all the fastener holes, then installed the boards with new stainless screws.  Where necessary, I rebored the countersinks in the boards themselves to allow the screws to recess further.  Starting at the top and working down, I installed the three after boards before moving onto the next set.

I repeated the process going forward.  Where the planks met one another, I applied some sealant at the vertical seam between the boards, and a little on the joint itself to add a little adhesive strength.  The top portion of the half lap joints was much too thin in most cases, and the fasteners couldn't be recessed sufficiently, but I'd deal with the ramifications of this a little later.  I'd known this would be the case all along since the early moments of the planks' restoration, and presently I'd have to deal with it, but not right now. 

Reusing these original boards had been a compromise solution from the start, but considering the amount of time it would have taken to remake them (the boards are not straight, but are individually tapered, shaped, and spiled to match the compound curvature of the hull and sheerline, so preparing new ones was a chore that surely would have tested my cheerful nature and challenged my desired efficiencies), along with the cost of new teak when the original was still in acceptable condition, I consciously chose these minor issues over a much more major project.


Continuing forward, I completed the port side.  Later I'd come back and install bungs over the screw holes before continuing work on the varnish buildup (along with additional varnish work on the caprails and rubrails too).


During the afternoon session I installed the planks on the starboard bulwarks.



This installation pleasingly took less time than I'd anticipated, a rarity that I thought I'd celebrate by quitting early.

Total Time Today:  3.75 hours

< Previous | Next >

The Motorsailer Project
Site design and content ©2010-2015 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.

Please notify me of broken or missing links or other site issues.
You can always find every day's project log links on The Project page.

Questions and comments | Home Page
V1.0 went live on 8/26/10