[ Home Page ]    [ History ]    [ The Project ]

Project Log:  Sunday, May 18, 2014

Beginning the day up on the boat, I terminated the two new wiring circuits inside the electrical locker, leading the lighting circuit to an existing terminal block where I'd landed all the other wiring circuits (with a common, single feed leading to a circuit breaker on the main panel), and the LPG control wire to another breaker on the panel, which I marked with a temporary label till I could get the correct label.


Before closing up the engine room again for now, I installed some labels I'd had made much earlier for the fuel system valves, and water system manifold.


I'd forgotten to check the operation of the refrigerator and vent fan circuit, so I checked that now.  The little vent fan was so quiet when it was on that at first I didn't think it was working, but I could easily feel the airflow out the vent in the face of the cabinet.  The fridge drew about 2 amps.


Moving outside, I turned again to the mast, where I got back to work on the final wire required for the steaming light.  Without too much undue difficulty, I got the snake through the wire conduit and pulled in the new cable.  The final turn from the conduit and out the mast hole was tight, but I managed to pull the end of the cable through before the snake slipped out of the tape.


The old light had been mounted on a flat bracket, which after some consideration I decided to use again though it wasn't strictly necessary.  I bolted the new steaming light to the bracket first, then secured the bracket to the mast with four screws in tapped holes.  Finally, I made up the wiring connections for the light and completed the installation.


At the masthead, I installed the bracket for the anemometer unit.  This bracket featured a pretty cool design that easily allowed removal with a sliding latch.  With the anemometer installed, I could determine how much of the network cable (SimNet) I needed exposed, and I pulled the remaining excess down to the base of the mast.  This cable was much too long, so I'd have to end up bundling the excess inside the mast since I wasn't about to attempt to cut and remake one of these specialized terminal ends.


I didn't yet have my VHF antenna or anchor light on hand, so couldn't yet make up the final terminations for the last two wires. 

Back at the spreader bases, I removed the temporary and too-short through bolt and replaced it with a longer one, this time installing the lower shroud tangs as required.  I cut off the excess bolt length once I'd secured it properly.


Meanwhile, I continued picking my way through the old hardware I'd removed and reinstalling what I could.  At the masthead, I reinstalled the four sheaves, a simple process with  a pin that went through the sheaves and bushings from one side of the mast to the other; the ends of the pins were secured with small metal plates over the holes in the mast.


Next, I reinstalled the headstay and backstay tangs.


Rain called an early end to the day's mast work; the main work was done on the mainmast, other than halyard cleats and winches (for which I'd await arrival of the tabernacle for final location), plus standing and running rigging.  Then I'd have to repeat many of these tasks on the mizzen.

Since I planned to be applying primer to another boat soon, I prepared the old radome mount for priming at the same time; it needed just a light sanding to prepare the sound, but discolored and faded, old powdercoat.


Total Time Today:  4.75 hours

< Previous | Next >

The Motorsailer Project
Site design and content ©2010-2015 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.

Please notify me of broken or missing links or other site issues.
You can always find every day's project log links on The Project page.

Questions and comments | Home Page
V1.0 went live on 8/26/10