[ Home Page ]    [ History ]    [ The Project ]

Project Log:  Friday, November 14, 2014

Continuing work on the cabin sole, I turned to the four small access hatches.  Using the short lengths of planks I'd set aside, plus some others as needed, I secured the new sole with glue and brads, letting the lengths and widths run wild over the edges.  Later, after the glue had had a chance to cure, I trimmed the excess with a router.  I also decided to mill the same tiny chamfer (as on the board edges) on the edges of the hatches and their openings, which cleaned up the sharp plank ends and dressed up the seam.  If you can't hide it...highlight it.


After cleaning up a bit more, and masking off around the edges of the cabin sole, I applied a sealer coat of varnish to the sole and hatches.


Bringing the three heavy engine (pilothouse) hatches down to the shop, I spent the remainder of the day's time installing the new mahogany planking on their surfaces.  To begin, I laid out openings for a series of handles (two per hatch), so I could omit the planking in these areas for a flush fit.


With these areas marked, I installed the new planks on each of the three hatches with glue and screws, letting them run wild as the situation dictated.  I'd trim the excess later.


Total Time Today:  3.75 hours

< Previous | Next >

The Motorsailer Project
Site design and content ©2010-2015 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.

Please notify me of broken or missing links or other site issues.
You can always find every day's project log links on The Project page.

Questions and comments | Home Page
V1.0 went live on 8/26/10