[ Home Page ]    [ History ]    [ The Project ]

Project Log:  Saturday, January 10, 2015

During the week, I applied varnish to the new pilothouse trim pieces, eventually ending up with my habitual rubbed-effect varnish for the final coat.  With these pieces complete, I finished up the installation by installing permanently three bolts (set in epoxy and threaded holes through the bulkhead) to secure the baseboard from within with knurled nuts, and a single knurled-head fastener to secure the little corner box in place.



In the galley, on the after bulkhead, I installed one additional LED lamp to match all the others in the cabin.  I'd already run the wire during a much-earlier work session, back when I determined that my thought of eliminating this lamp position was unwise (I'd been looking to trim outfitting costs, but this turned out not to be the place).  This lamp position matched with symmetry that of the lamp on the opposite side of the cabin.


Working off my little punch list, looking for things to forever expunge, I contemplated the hinged section of countertop above the refrigerator, searching for some clean and easy means of securing it for convenience in its raised position.  Eventually I thought that some sort of slide bolt, installed on the underside of the lid, might do the trick, so I ordered something that I hoped would be applicable.

With the completion of the pilothouse trim, the interior was virtually complete, but one item remained:  the chainlocker.  During my initial door-building frenzy at an earlier stage of the project, I'd cut four rough blanks from which to build this door, but had deemed it less critical, so these pieces languished in a corner of the shop in the meantime.  Now, this was all that remained, and high time to get it done.

I planned a simple approach to this door, which would need to remain easily removable for access within.  Standing alone, it could be a surface mount, secured with braces at the bottom and simple catches at the top.  To this end, I laid out and temporarily clamped in place the pre-cut pieces of oversized cherry stock, starting with top and bottom positioned where I wanted them, and level, and superimposed the two angled side pieces above them, aligned by eye as needed, so I could cut the two horizontals to the correct length and angles, after which I could clamp the side pieces in place for final marking.

Thusly marked, I glued the frame together down on the bench, using an unorthodox though effective means of clamping the pieces together despite the angles--small scraps of wood hot-glued across the joints.  It'd be easy enough to sand away unwanted epoxied-on remnants of these clamps later and sure beat the typical frustrations inherent in trying to clamp slippery angled pieces together through traditional means.   The weights were there to counteract the frame's tendency to twist.

Several jobs awaited me in the cockpit, an area I'd managed to successfully ignore for many moons.  The original hatch covering the lazarette (after steering room) had been lost sometime during the boat's earlier sinking or recovery, and I'd need to build a new one.  I made a few measurements in order to determine any materials I'd require, so I could at last get this project underway.

My hydraulic steering arm selection had, for reasons of space, required that I cut an opening in the bulkhead leading tot he after steering room.  At that stage, I'd been planning to build elaborate closed-in cockpit lockers, which would have hidden and sealed off this unwanted--but necessary--protrusion.

That particular project--the new lockers (in part driven by a desire for a better propane storage situation)--had been doomed by the fact that I'd ignored this structural work at the early-on stage when it would have made most sense, choosing instead to work on more fun aspects of the boat, and as time went on, and the structural project lingered in favor of funner interior and systems work and the like.  The more finished the rest of the boat came, and the shorter time, temper, and funds became, the more I postponed starting the job, the net-result of which--along with changing focus for the boat--was to leave it on the cutting room floor.  Instead, I'd simply reinstall the original teak-slatted seats, requiring me to now build a simple weatherproof--yet removable--box to cover the steering components.

Making a few measurements now allowed me to order up some prefabricated fiberglass from which to build the box.

Similarly eliminated during the harsh yet realistic project slashing of late was my grand plan for a decent propane locker, which was to have been incorporated in the new, rebuilt lockers.  The death knell for this job in particular came about when, while browsing online,  I happened across a slightly damaged--yet new--prefab propane locker with all the bells and whistles, and on impulse I bought it.


Now my plan was to incorporate this locker into the housing where the original locker was.  I played around with a few ideas for now, and would get into the meat of this job soon.

Total Time Today:  2.5 Hours

< Previous | Next >

The Motorsailer Project
Site design and content ©2010-2015 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.

Please notify me of broken or missing links or other site issues.
You can always find every day's project log links on The Project page.

Questions and comments | Home Page
V1.0 went live on 8/26/10