[ Home Page ]    [ History ]    [ The Project ]

Project Log:  Wednesday, December 29, 2010

There was one more dirty task that I needed to take care of before cleaning up and moving on to a different round of work:  the bottom.

The existing paint was in generally good condition, particularly on the starboard side.  On the port side, centered around the head area, the epoxy barrier coat had failed in several areas, causing large areas to chip and peel away in chunks.  While I had no intention of completely stripping the bottom, at least a light sanding was required to prepare it for new paint much later on, and I needed to clean up the barrier coat mess on the port side.  Sanding bottoms is a mess, so it made sense to get this over with now.

I sanded the bottom quickly with 80 grit paper on a 6" random orbit finishing sander. This was just a quick scuff to prep the surface, remove surface contaminants, and feather the edges of any rough spots.

I used a scraper to remove the remaining loose barrier coat on the port side as needed, then blended these areas with the surrounding surface.  I wasn't sure why there was such a localized failure, but fortunately the loose material was confined to this one area.



Afterwards, I spent a good portion of the day thoroughly cleaning up the shop and the boat, both inside and out.  Though I'd mostly cleaned up incrementally throughout the recent few weeks' surface prep efforts, now was the time for a true cleaning as I shifted gears away from bulk sanding and towards other sorts of work on the boat.

After sweeping up the shop and vacuuming the deck, hull, and interior of the boat, I solvent-washed the decks so I could get a detailed sense of their condition and remove all traces of dust for the moment.  I found a few areas where I'd need to spot-fill, mostly small gouges from the power planer and grinder I used as part of the Treadmaster removal process earlier on.  I'd missed these areas during the earlier rounds of deck work.




With the upcoming work focus belowdecks, I reconfigured the interior work lighting and power cords on the boat, moving as much of the cords and clutter abovedecks to keep the interior free of unnecessary interference.  A newly-purchased extension cord featuring outlets spaced evenly along its length (thanks BC for the idea) helped better organize the lighting for more convenience and less clutter below.

Later, I spent some time on board pondering some of the jobs ahead.  During some of my hull sanding, I'd noticed that one of the U-bolts on the caprail (this one for a genoa sheet lead, not a rigging wire) featured one broken leg, so I knew that at a minimum I'd need to remove and replace that one.  Of course this called into question the condition of the remaining U-bolts, so I needed to figure out how to remove these (and, of course, reinstall them), as well as the other remaining hardware on the caprails, as I was considering trying to remove and rebed the caprails.

Access to the U-bolts looked pretty feasible, other than the pair just outboard of the cockpit, but the cleats and chocks located near the end of the boat would be quite challenging to remove (well, more specifically would be challenging to reinstall) because of the available access.  This was a problem that had bothered me from early in the project, during hardware removal, and I'd yet to come up with the solution.

In any event, pondering imponderables was an important step in the process, though it doesn't lend itself to photo-documentation.

Total Time Today:  6.25 hours

< Previous | Next >

The Motorsailer Project
Site design and content ©2010-2015 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.

Please notify me of broken or missing links or other site issues.
You can always find every day's project log links on The Project page.

Questions and comments | Home Page
V1.0 went live on 8/26/10