[ Home Page ]    [ History ]    [ The Project ]

Project Log:  Sunday, October 3, 2010

After a week away on vacation, I started to think ahead to the upcoming need to stage this boat.  Staging would be invaluable for the deck and hull surface prep and repairs, but with the exaggerated sheerline of the boat it would be challenging to build staging that was sturdy and safe, adjustable and versatile, and of a design that would allow access to all parts of the shop throughout the process.  In addition, I wanted to build a gangway from a nearby set of stairs to allow easier access to the cockpit and inside of the boat during the project.

In order to reach over the caprails at the highest point of the bow, I'd need to build the staging 8' high; at the stern, I'd only need 5'.  Also, I had a desire to make the staging easy to build--both initially and in the future--and dismantle, as various sections of the project would require the staging be at one height or another, or completely removed at times.  I didn't want to spend more than a weekend building staging.

With all these complications in mind, I worked up a rough materials list, for which I'd place an order shortly so the materials could be delivered to the site.  I hoped to build the staging within the next couple weeks so that everything would be ready when it was time to turn my attention to the exterior work required on the boat.

Total Time Today:  1 hour

< Previous | Next >

The Motorsailer Project
Site design and content ©2010-2015 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.

Please notify me of broken or missing links or other site issues.
You can always find every day's project log links on The Project page.

Questions and comments | Home Page
V1.0 went live on 8/26/10