[ Home Page ]    [ History ]    [ The Project ]

Project Log:  Tuesday, January 18, 2011

To install the cabin sole, I applied beads of epoxy adhesive to the tops of the various support cleats and beams, and then laid the plywood sections in place, beginning with the small piece in the passageway, then the large main cabin piece, and finally the small section of the main cabin. 

Before installing the final piece, I applied additional adhesive to the seam between the two main cabin sections, and then secured the plywood tightly with bronze screws.  To avoid any plywood movement while the adhesive cured, I worked on other things in the meantime.


The newly-repaired caprail sections were ready for cleanup and sanding.  Once again, I was oddly impressed (in a head-shaking sort of way) with the oddity of the heavy beads of sealant coupled with crispy fiberglass tabbing found on the forwardmost pieces.


As before, I scraped away the excess sealant and other debris, then sanded both sides of the six sections with 80 grit paper to clean up the wood and smooth the various bungs and epoxy repairs effected yesterday. 

Late in the day, after some other work, I continued the sanding with a vibrating finishing sander, working through 80-120-220 grit paper to complete the pre-finishing prep work required on these six sections (other than some additional repairs to the port forward section--second from left in the photo below--which featured two broken ends).

When the cabin sole adhesive had had a few hours to cure sufficiently, I applied epoxy fillets to the edges where the sole met the hull, to fill the gap there and smooth the transition between sole and hull--as well as to add adhesion and reinforcement.  While I was at it, I filled the small gaps between sheets and filled the screw holes as needed.

Afterwards, I installed 4" biaxial tabbing to secure the plywood to the hull at the edges, not so much for strength and reinforcement as to ensure a clean transition between the two.  These areas would be inside lockers when all was said and done. 

I realized my error in applying epoxy fill material to the screw holes while installing the tabbing, as it was difficult to avoid leaning or kneeling on some of the epoxy residue, making the process a bit more of a mess than I would have chosen, but otherwise not causing any serious issues.

Total Time Today:  5.25 hours

< Previous | Next >

The Motorsailer Project
Site design and content ©2010-2015 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.

Please notify me of broken or missing links or other site issues.
You can always find every day's project log links on The Project page.

Questions and comments | Home Page
V1.0 went live on 8/26/10