[ Home Page ]    [ History ]    [ The Project ]

Project Log:  Saturday, June 25, 2011

First thing, I removed the clamps and braces in the passageway, as the adhesive had cured overnight.


In the forward cabin, I repeated the panel installation process I'd used elsewhere on the boat:  apply adhesive, clamp panels in place, and cross-brace as needed to hold them securely.



I took a semi-tangential course and prepared a panel to close off the forward end of the engine room, beneath the companionway ladder.  This panel, which would be removable for access to the front of the engine room, I thought )at least at this moment) would also eventually incorporate the ladder to the cabin.  It was a simple rectangular panel.  I chose this moment to build the panel since I had some adhesive left over in a tube from the forward cabin paneling installation, and since the adhesive goes bad once the tubes are opened (within a relatively short while), I thought I'd use up the remainder on the new panel.

Because of the existing features of the opening, I built the panel in two pieces:  a 1/2" backer piece, and a 1/4" veneer panel, which extended below the end of the back panel to cover a stepped portion of the original bulkhead.  Once I'd cut the panels on the table saw, I glued them together with the leftover 5200.


I spent the rest of the day on the layout for the dinette.  Starting where I left off, I puzzled things out:  measuring, masking tape mockups, remeasuring, and more. Eventually I determined a compromise that I thought would allow for comfortable seating, angled backrests, and a usable table:  18" cushion width, with the dinette base set back four inches from the edge of the seat.  As part of the process, I marked the footprint of the dinette support cleats on the cabin sole.

After much thought--conceptions like this require more thought than action--I committed to the design, and, with tape measure and framing square, drew pencil lines on the sole to demark the edges of the support cleats. 

I measured for and cut hardwood support cleats for the dinette base, as well as for the platform itself.  Then, I installed the cleats along my layout lines with glue and screws.  I ran the two transverse cleats nearly to the hull since I planned to extend those bulkheads to the hull for additional support to the seat, as well as to divide the storage area beneath into convenient spaces.


Total Time Today:  5.25 hours

< Previous | Next >

The Motorsailer Project
Site design and content ©2010-2015 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.

Please notify me of broken or missing links or other site issues.
You can always find every day's project log links on The Project page.

Questions and comments | Home Page
V1.0 went live on 8/26/10