[ Home Page ]    [ History ]    [ The Project ]

Project Log:  Saturday, October 1, 2011

First thing, I installed the three new bulkheads for the galley, using a bead of quick-cure epoxy adhesive to secure them to the hull.  When I'd completed this task, I set the countertop in place to ensure that the bulkheads' final position was as intended.


The adhesive would take a few hours to cure sufficiently, so I left the bulkheads alone for the moment and turned to the galley foot  pumps.  I planned two foot pumps for the sink--fresh and salt water--but because of the layout of the galley, I didn't want the foot pedals to protrude into the passageway.  So over the course of a couple hours, I built a recessed box for the pumps.

I'd ordered one pump each with its hose connections on the opposite sides (left and right), which would make connections as easy as possible.  After determining some basic dimensions for the recess, allowing for enough width so the pedals wouldn't be too close, enough height to allow operation and foot access, while keeping the overall dimensions no larger than necessary, I cut the main section (the back, if you will) of the recess to size from 1/2" cherry plywood, then laid out for the pumps' fastener holes and openings for the pump levers. 

I temporarily installed the pumps to ensure proper fit, alignment, and operation, using through bolts since past experience showed that screws from the back side lacked the strength to hold the pumps securely.  I used flat head screws and finish washers, as that was all I thought I had, but later switched to pan head fasteners, which I preferred over the finish washers, when I discovered some in my inventory.


I determined the recess should be about 4" deep to allow the pedals to be flush with the outside of the cabinet, so I milled the remaining sides of the box and assembled it with glue, using stainless brads to hold things while the glue cured.


A quick check showed there was ample foot room to easily operate the pumps.

After lunch, the bulkheads in the galley were ready for additional work.  Now that they were secured to the hull, I could remove the front panel for the galley, giving me better access to the bulkheads for filleting and tabbing, which were my next steps.

I installed epoxy fillets on each side of each bulkhead, where accessible.  In the narrow slot between the aftermost bulkheads, I made no attempt to fillet the entire length--just the top 12" or so.  I didn't think tabbing both sides of the bulkheads was necessary(if it had been, I could have, though the access was challenging), but thought I'd do the top edge just because.


While the fillets gelled partially, I cut sections of 4" tabbing for the bulkheads, then wet it out and installed tabbing where the bulkheads met the hull--full length where accessible, and 12" lengths at the top edge of the narrow space.


That was all I could do in the boat till the fiberglass cured, so back down in the wood shop I continued work on the galley's front panel, which required additional layout and cutouts for various openings.

To begin, I milled some trim pieces for the edge of the new foot pump recess, and installed them on the box; the box would slip in from the outside and be removable, so the overlapping trim, in addition to covering the plywood end grain, would also provide the means of attachment for the box.

I needed the trim now so I could determine other aspects of the cabinet's layout.  The overall size of the trimmed-out foot pump box provided me with the information I needed to complete the adjacent layouts in a pleasing and useful way, and since the box was a known--and required--size, everything else had to play into its final position.

Eventually, I determined the location for the cutout, and made the cut, allowing me to recess the box.

The pull-out trash can that I'd ordered last week hadn't yet arrived, and I couldn't make the cut for its opening till I had it on hand.  However, with basic dimensional information, plus the new foot pump unit, I could lay out and cut a locker opening beneath the sink, for general access.  I'd have liked for this to be centered on the sink itself, but this wouldn't work with the other constraints (particularly the trash), so instead I aligned the opening so that the finished door would align with the trim on the foot pumps below.

I laid out two additional openings, beneath the range and refrigerator respectively, and cut those openings--again, for general access and storage lockers.  Finally, I cut a narrow slot in the vertical space between the range and refer, where I planned to install a cherry wood louvered duct, part of the refrigerator space's air flow plan.  This work brought me through the remainder of the day.

It seemed I kept paring away at the remains of the galley cabinet front, and there was still one opening left to cut, as soon as my silly trash can arrived.  This sort of stream-of-consciousness layout requires the three dimensions of reality to perform, and only once certain indelible installations had been placed could I accurately determine the remaining cuts and overall layout.

Total Time Today:  7 hours

< Previous | Next >

The Motorsailer Project
Site design and content ©2010-2015 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.

Please notify me of broken or missing links or other site issues.
You can always find every day's project log links on The Project page.

Questions and comments | Home Page
V1.0 went live on 8/26/10