[ Home Page ]    [ History ]    [ The Project ]

Project Log:  Friday, September 30, 2011

I got started with the water heater, and installed it in its new home.  To begin, using the layout marks I'd created earlier I drilled two boles for through bolts (at the top) and two holes that I tapped for 1/4-20 threads (bottom).  Then, I pre-installed the screws on the outboard side of the tank support, as this side of the tank's brackets featured slots in the feet.  With the tank slotted into position, I added the other screws/bolts, and tightened everything down.  It was a bit awkward, but I got it done.

The space for the tank was fairly tight, but it fit nicely and left me almost luxurious room at the bottom end to make up the various hose connections later. By choosing a high-quality tank with a good reputation, I hoped I'd not ever need to pull it out, at least not for many years, but should the day come tank removal shouldn't require undue effort.



With that out of the way, I continued work in the galley.  There was much work ahead, and I was anxious to keep the "hidden" construction moving.  On the agenda were the three bulkheads required to close off the cutout spaces for the refrigerator and range.

I began with the aftermost bulkhead, the one demarking the refer space.  Since this was the largest of the three, I could recycle my pattern for each of the other two bulkheads.  With some rough measurements in hand, I created a rough cardboard template, which I then used to scribe a more accurate shape that I transferred to a new piece of cardboard.

Satisfied with the shape, I transferred the pattern to 12mm marine plywood and cut it out.  I left the top edge high for now so I could strike a level line with the top of the cabinets later.


I repeated the process twice more, with the two bulkheads defining the sides of the range enclosure.  Then, I marked and cut level the tops of all three bulkheads.


I test-fit the countertop, and made minor adjustments to the bulkheads' positions as needed so they aligned with the cutouts in the countertop.  As needed, I used small blocks that I hot-glued to the hull to hold the bulkheads in position, and marked their footprints on the hull for future reference during final installation later.


Two of the bulkheads at the aft end left a narrow space between them, which probably wouldn't be useful for much beyond ventilation for the refrigerator.  Nonetheless, I didn't want any inaccessible spaces in the boat, so on the side of the refrigerator bulkhead, I constructed an access hatch so I could get into the space as need be.

I'd really hoped to be able to get the bulkhead tacked in place before the end of the day, but it just wasn't going to happen, unfortunately.  To prepare for their imminent installation, however, I removed all three bulkheads and brought them down to the bench, where I applied a coat of epoxy to the plywood edge that would end up against the hull.

Total Time Today:  5.25 hours

< Previous | Next >

The Motorsailer Project
Site design and content ©2010-2015 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.

Please notify me of broken or missing links or other site issues.
You can always find every day's project log links on The Project page.

Questions and comments | Home Page
V1.0 went live on 8/26/10