[ Home Page ]    [ History ]    [ The Project ]

Project Log:  Saturday, January 7, 2012

After some odds and ends, I brought the engine template, now equipped with the actual engine mounts, up the boat for a final test-fit before I determined how to proceed with the original engine foundations.  Instead of using small loose blocks, as I had earlier, to raise the template to the necessary height (since the original foundations were low), I made up a down and dirty pair of 3" tall, 30" long stringers to simulate the required modification to the existing beds.

Sometime earlier I'd broken the original alignment string, so I ran a new one for this stage of the work.  I aligned it through the center of the stern tube and secured it tightly to the forward engine room bulkhead in a way that I could easily remove or reset it during the upcoming work.


I placed the template over the line, and made some minor adjustments to the forward mounts to allow the string to run through the centers of the template shaft holes.  This all confirmed what I'd determined earlier:  the foundations were about 3" too low in their current configuration, so I'd need to build them up accordingly.  I'd order some materials and get ready to go on that project in the near future.


After some final prep, I installed the longitudinal pilothouse bulkheads permanently, securing them with glue and screws at the cleats and beneath the small upper shelves, and with some epoxy adhesive at the bottom edge to tack the bulkhead to the upper edge of the one beneath.  I bunged the screw holes, and, because the lower edges of the bulkheads wanted to bow out slightly, used some braces between the two to hold the lower edge in the proper alignment with the top of the existing bulkhead while the adhesive cured.


Meanwhile, I washed and lightly sanded the epoxy-coated back sides of the aft bulkhead paneling and prepared these pieces for installation.   I had to wait briefly for the glue securing the bungs on the side bulkheads to cure sufficiently, as at the aft end I needed to trim the bungs before I could install the aft panels.

As with the other veneer panels in the interior, I secured the aft panels with polyurethane adhesive, and clamped and braced them in place securely to hold them while the adhesive cured.


Total Time Today:  4.75 hours

< Previous | Next >

The Motorsailer Project
Site design and content ©2010-2015 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.

Please notify me of broken or missing links or other site issues.
You can always find every day's project log links on The Project page.

Questions and comments | Home Page
V1.0 went live on 8/26/10