[ Home Page ]    [ History ]    [ The Project ]

Project Log:  Sunday, June 10, 2012

To begin, I installed the hydraulic autopilot pump and steering cylinder.  Despite yesterday's frustration at the pump bracket's design, final installation went quickly and smoothly this day. 

The valve on the steering cylinder bypass kit required modification to avoid interference with the nearby bulkhead.  To get around this, I bent a 90° corner into the handle.  The valve would be in this "closed" position during normal operation, the bypass only to be opened should I need or want manual control of the rudder with the tiller.

I'd replace the placeholder SS bolts in the steering cylinder mounting bracket with the correct grade 5 bolts once I obtained them.


In the galley, I installed the three faucets:  two manual faucets (salt water and fresh water), and a central faucet with pull-out handle for pressure water (hot and cold).


The manual faucets would be supplied through a pair of foot pumps, which I'd previously built into a recessed alcove.  To make the final connections, I began with the salt water side, which would be inaccessible once the alcove was installed.  To that end, I ran hoses to the pump (which I'd later connect to the salt water supply), and from the pump to one of the manual faucets.  I ran the supply line through the nearby bulkhead to the adjacent locker compartment, where I'd eventually connect it to other components of the salt water supply.  On the galley side, I installed a hose clamp where the hose ran through the bulkhead to prevent pulling too much hose out the other side, maintaining the required slack for removal of the pump alcove.


With these hoses attached, and with enough slack to allow the pump alcove to be removed for servicing as needed, I installed the alcove in the galley countertop, then ran a hose from the fresh water foot pump to the other manual faucet.


Through a convoluted but carefully planned-out route through a narrow utility corridor behind the countertop, through the galley cabinets and into a 2" conduit beneath the stove, I snaked two lengths of water supply hose into the galley from the starboard side of the engine room, where I left excess hose for eventual connection to the supply side of the water system (water pump and filtration).  This was all I could do before I used up my first box of hose.  One hose I connected to the manual fresh water pump, for its supply, and the other I left long for eventual connection to the main pressure faucet.  First, however, I'd need to tee off this hose so I could run another leg off to the head compartment, where I'd be installing a shower eventually.  Once I got more hose, I'd run one more line into the galley cabinet for the hot water supply for sink and shower.

For now, I left the hoses  unsecured, awaiting the final hose run before tying the hoses up and finishing off this segment of work.


Finally, I installed my pre-built plate rack above the galley, using epoxy adhesive to secure it to its mounting cleats.  I'd hoped to use screws for a less permanent installation, but there was no way to drill and drive screws in the tight quarters.


Total Time Today:  3 hours

< Previous | Next >

The Motorsailer Project
Site design and content ©2010-2015 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.

Please notify me of broken or missing links or other site issues.
You can always find every day's project log links on The Project page.

Questions and comments | Home Page
V1.0 went live on 8/26/10