[ Home Page ]    [ History ]    [ The Project ]

Project Log:  Sunday, March 11, 2012

I spent most of the day working on trim and finish work in the pilothouse.  To begin, I installed a solid cherry strip on the bottom edge of the lower instrument panel, covering the exposed plywood edge.  I trimmed the panel a bit shorter so the overall width remained the same, with the edge of the panel flush with the console face.

I installed support cleats at the top edge of the recessed electronics console, and screwed the top panel in place, bunging the screw holes.  Later, I pared away the excess bungs here and elsewhere.


To cover the remaining exposed surface of the main bulkhead on either side of the companionway, I installed 1/4" cherry plywood veneer.

To wrap around the edge of the dashboard, I milled stock to form a solid cherry fiddle.  I didn't want the fiddle to be overly high here, and didn't see a need for it to be since I couldn't see anything but incidentals ending up on the dashboard, so I kept the height to 3/4" above the top surface, though the trim itself was 2" wide to extend low enough to hide various existing and future seams between materials around the companionway opening and elsewhere.

After preparing enough footage of the fiddle stock and sanding it through 220 grit, I cut and fitted the piece to the port side of the helm, one of the more difficult pieces since both ends were confined.  I had to notch the bottom slightly to go over the longitudinal plywood bulkhead, the edge of which would eventually be covered in more trim.  I dry-fit the piece but held off on installation till the other sections of fiddle were ready.


This all took quite a long time, not surprisingly, and I wasn't up for installing any more trim at this time, so instead I installed a new bronze tiller arm to the rudderpost.  Although originally I'd planned to have something made up locally from flat bronze stock using the old arm and my plywood template as guides, I happened upon a beefy cast bronze tiller arm from Buck Algonquin that was the perfect fit for my requirements, with a 1" square hole at 45° to the long dimension of the arm, and set up for either a 6" or 8" pin location (I needed 6").  I had to drill a 5/8" hole for the pin to secure the steering cylinder, but that posed no particular problem even with my weary drill press.

Installation was simple:  slip the arm over the rudder post and tighten the bolt.  I dry-fit the rudder post extension and connector, but the upper section of the rudderpost wasn't slipping far enough into the connector for some reason that I couldn't immediately identify, so I left it for now.  I wasn't ready to continue wit the steering yet anyway, as I'd need to remove the rudder once again to install the new prop shaft when it arrived; after that, I could "permanently" install the rudder and get on with the hydraulic installation.


Total Time Today:  5 hours

< Previous | Next >

The Motorsailer Project
Site design and content ©2010-2015 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.

Please notify me of broken or missing links or other site issues.
You can always find every day's project log links on The Project page.

Questions and comments | Home Page
V1.0 went live on 8/26/10