[ Home Page ]    [ History ]    [ The Project ]

Project Log:  Friday, May 25, 2012

I got started early with a solvent-wash in the main cabin, after which I masked off various areas from each other to divide the work into manageable sections where I could easily maintain a wet edge during varnish application.  Basically, this meant that I applied tape on the main transverse bulkhead surfaces, separating them from the remaining areas like the underside of the sidedecks, cabin trunk, and dinette and galley cabinets, which I'd complete during the first round.  But it was too early to apply the varnish, so for now I moved on to other things.


Back in the pilothouse, I continued preliminary installation and wiring work at the helm console, beginning with the engine wiring harness, which led from a pre-wired plug on the engine to the top of the helm console, where eventually I'd connect it to the engine gauge panel.  After connecting the engine side of the harness, I led it forward and up into the console, securing it as needed to keep it away from various obstructions and hazards, and wrapped portions of the cable harness with lengths of hose to protect against chafe in a couple key areas.  I led the harness up into the console and held it aside for now, as there was more work ahead before I could install the gauge panel.


I organized the mess of steering hoses on the port side of the engine room, and secured them along the port utility panel to keep them safe and out of the way, and clear of any hot portions of the diesel heating boiler system.  Later, I'd continue the hoses' run aft to the steering room, but for now they were out of the way where needed.

In the console, I added a bit of plastic split loom behind the hoses as a bit of protection against any tendency to chafe where the hoses rested rather firmly against the wooden bulkhead.


I spent most of the balance of the day working on various wiring chores within the console.  As a very early stage of the boat's overall wiring project, this required me to think ahead to what would be needed later, and to arrange installations within the console in such a  way as to keep all the future wiring organized.  I had no wiring plan on paper or computer, but worked from logic and past experience, and knew where and how I wanted it all to end up, even if I didn't know all the details yet.

Continuing my top-down console wiring plan, I pre-wired and installed the main vessel heating control switch, as well as a switch for the pilothouse fan heater, which I'd provided space for in the console during construction.  To accommodate these, and other wires from that side of the console, I installed a terminal block and negative distribution buss nearby.  Since there were still the three fuel gauges to pre-wire and install, I left the raw wiring bundle on this side alone for now.


I terminated the bilge pump switch wiring harness at a small terminal block, awaiting eventual final connections to the pump later.

Considering the various wire leads ahead, I eventually determined locations for two main battery cable distribution busses, as well as a set of terminal blocks for the small auxiliary panel at the top of the console (and more).  After installing these units, I made up the wiring and cable ends as required.  I indelibly labeled each wire and used heat-shrink crimp connectors in all areas.


Later, after some additional cleanup and tacking off, I applied a coat of the rubbed-effect satin varnish that I like to the various surfaces in the main cabin.



Total Time Today:  9.5 hours

< Previous | Next >

The Motorsailer Project
Site design and content ©2010-2015 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.

Please notify me of broken or missing links or other site issues.
You can always find every day's project log links on The Project page.

Questions and comments | Home Page
V1.0 went live on 8/26/10