[ Home Page ]    [ History ]    [ The Project ]

Project Log:  Saturday, November 17, 2012

During the morning, I finished the ceiling installation in the forward cabin.  Each piece on each side required angled cuts at the aft end where the strips died off into the berth platform.  These cuts would not be visible once the mattress was in place, and tapering the ends out to a sharp point to hide these small gaps would have left the pieces too fragile and unsupported.

Before trim

Afterwards, from leftover ceiling stock I milled slim trim pieces to finish off the ends fore and aft.  Then, I applied additional tung oil to all areas, something I'd continue doing in the coming days until I achieved the finish I was after.  It took only 5-10 minutes to wipe on a coat to all areas.  Later on, I applied a third coat.  Sometime coming up, I'd have to trim out the deadlight frames, but I didn't feel like fussing with that just yet.  Soon.

Trimmed and with 2 coats of tung oil

3 coats of tung oil


At the companionway ladder, I installed a pair of step pads (chromed frame with rubber insert) to add some non-skid capability and prevent wear on the treads.  These required four screws each.

What I wanted to do next was finish up the trim in the forward cabin:  the cabin trunk panels required corner trim, some of the last remaining trim in the cabin.  Completing the trim would allow me to continue related steps to complete that compartment, such as final varnish on these areas.  However, before I could do that, I realized I needed to work on the overhead, a job I'd been specifically not looking forward to ( i.e. dreading) forever.

To begin, I struck a centerline down the overhead, then made a series of measurements so I could cut a rough template of one half of the overhead (I planned--hoped, maybe--to build the overhead here in just two sections, split down the centerline) from junk plywood.   As soon as I brought the template into the boat--slightly oversized so I could offset it 2" from the centerline and scribe the outboard edge, and I also left an overhang beyond where the cabin trunk ended--I remembered why I'd been dreading the project.  It was difficult to fit the large piece into the forward cabin, but eventually I managed to get it up there and, with difficulty temporarily tacked in place along my reference marks.


Apparently my measurements at the aft end had been a bit off, since the gap there was wider than I'd anticipated, and I'd made a mistake at the forward end of the narrower sidedeck section, removing too much material in advance, but nonetheless I was able to scribe the outboard edge at a 2" offset, which was the main point of the exercise.  Afterwards, I removed the sheet for trimming before testing the fit again (I seem not to have any pictures of the re-fit). 

I wasn't that happy with the fit despite all this, since the initial template had basically gone wrong from the getgo, but I'd learned a few things of value that I hoped would make the continuation of the job a bit easier next time.  I thought the forward cabin would be the toughest section in the boat, thanks tot he tight quarters and unusual shape, so it was a good place to make my mistakes and learn.

Total Time Today:  6.5 hours

< Previous | Next >

The Motorsailer Project
Site design and content ©2010-2015 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.

Please notify me of broken or missing links or other site issues.
You can always find every day's project log links on The Project page.

Questions and comments | Home Page
V1.0 went live on 8/26/10