[ Home Page ]    [ History ]    [ The Project ]

Project Log:  Monday, October 8, 2012

After lightly sanding the first coat of varnish on the trim pieces, I applied a second coat, looking to complete the varnish buildup in advance of the trim's installation.

The large storage locker opposite the head had been on my mind since I'd worked on the lower sections a while back.  I expected the upper half of the locker would end up being general storage and storage for clothing and the like, and had considered a few options for finishing off the area, from simple paint to aromatic cedar planking.  I discounted the planking early on, when I decided that the readily-available products of this nature were, to put it mildly, junk. 

I didn't want to spend untold hours on a simple storage locker, and eventually decided to simply line it with marine headliner fabric.  I'd already been planning to use this fabric for the overhead and hull/cabin trunk side of the locker, with their multiple contours, so using the same material for the fore and aft bulkheads was a logical conclusion.

I ordered more of the material to have on hand, and in the meantime made paper patterns of the three surfaces to be covered.


While I was in this mode, I made various measurements for other materials I'd need coming up, including forward cabin ceiling material, the cabin sole, and the overhead in all areas.  I'd calculate what I needed, and hoped to make up a final wood order in the near future.

Next, I turned back to trim.  It struck me that the L-shaped trim I'd made for the forward pilothouse corners was nearly a perfect fit for the top aft edge of the V-berth platform, above the vertical bulkhead at the entrance, so I cut a piece of the remaining trim to fit and glued it in place.

Beneath the flat trim, I cut and installed quarter round molding at the vertical corners between the sheets of plywood veneer.  I installed these trim pieces unfinished since I'd not yet varnished the surrounding areas, other than a sealer coat on all surfaces, so I could varnish the trim in place while wrapping up the adjacent varnish.

This got me on track for the remaining trim in the passageway, to cover the four corners between the passageway and the main and forward cabins.  I made up straightforward angled trim pieces from solid cherry stock for each corner.  With the angled starboard side of the passageway, the trim pieces there required both an outside angled corner (aft side) and an inside angle (forward side), while the two trim pieces opposite featured simple 90° corners.

After milling the trim and sanding it smooth through 220 grit, I cut and installed the four pieces with glue.


The companionway opening was next on the trimming list.  To begin, I used a 1/4" thick piece of solid cherry to create a sort of threshhold at the forward end of the pilothouse sole, slightly overhanging the top of the removable vertical engine room panel beneath, and extending back to the ends of the pilothouse sole panels, covering the permanently-installed sections of the substrate forward.  Though I didn't plan to use cherry for the sole surfaces, I chose cherry for the threshhold as a contrast, and because it would tie in with the surrounding cherry companionway trim.

For now, I left this section loose to decide if I liked it or not. If so, I'd later install it permanently; the vertical panel beneath would be removable with this trim in place, as would the main hatches in the pilothouse, and other potions of the companionway trim would butt against it as required.


Total Time Today:  6.25 hours

< Previous | Next >

The Motorsailer Project
Site design and content ©2010-2015 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.

Please notify me of broken or missing links or other site issues.
You can always find every day's project log links on The Project page.

Questions and comments | Home Page
V1.0 went live on 8/26/10