[ Home Page ]    [ History ]    [ The Project ]

Project Log:  Saturday, October 13, 2012

I'd ordered brass screws for the dinette locker door hinges, and with those now on hand I replaced the SS screws, which I'd used temporarily, with the brass ones, even though this leaf of the hinge would be hidden behind the upholstered panel and never seen.

During the week, I'd finished up the varnish work on the various trim pieces for the pilothouse, so I installed them.  At the aft corners, I installed the angled corner trim with glue after first installing small filler pieces of plywood in some open gaps at the aft ends of the little side shelves (this can be seen as a lighter-colored area in the right-hand photo below).


Also at the after end, I installed quarter round molding to cover a seam between the plywood panels forming the side and after bulkheads.


Though I might find a need for additional wiring later, I went ahead and installed the removable wire chase moldings at the forward corners and center seams of the pilothouse.  Here, I ran into a small problem.  I'd planned to use #4 screws to secure the moldings, as these screws have very small heads that I thought would be the least obtrusive.   However, I found that the one inch screws I purchased--the longest I could find--were not really long enough to hold the trim pieces in place, as they barely bit into the plywood beneath. 

After spending some time searching for an alternative--longer #4s, or trim-head screws in a different size--without success, I went ahead and used #6 x 1-1/4" screws to secure the trim.  These screws worked OK on the two side pieces of trim (which looked a little odd anyway at this point since I'd removed the aluminum window frames for now, leaving the strange cutouts in these trim pieces looking out of place).  However, the position of the screw holes on the center trim pieces was such that the larger screw heads (and, frankly, even the #4s) protruded over the edge of the trim a bit and just stood out too much.


I was disappointed in that, but for now I left the trim in place.  There was a good chance I'd try and find a better solution to this problem, either by redesigning the trim or through other means, but at the moment I could live with it:  at least there was trim in place, and overall it looked pretty good.  But those screws just looked glommy.

Meanwhile, I cut and fit additional quarter round molding at the base of the windshield sections, securing it with glue around the four removable trim/wire chases.


I installed my cherry threshold at the forward edge of the pilothouse sole, then installed a final bit of quarter round on the starboard forward corner of the bulkheads.

Next, I used my paper patterns, made last time, to cut out sections of hull liner fabric for the vertical storage locker forward of the galley.  I installed these pieces with spray adhesive.  While this sort of liner wasn't my favorite thing, I felt it had its place, and this seemed a great place to use it, as it quickly transformed the locker into a finished space.  Of course the locker would later be covered by doors.


In the forward cabin, I installed Reflectix insulation against the hull in the open spaces between ceiling support strips.  This material was a cinch to use.   I secured it with double-stick tape to the hull--just enough to hold it there--cutting it in place using the furring strips as a guide.  Later, the final ceiling material would hide and further secure this in place.  The only real function for insulation in this boat was to help minimize condensation and avoid undue heat transfer from the dark hull into various spaces/lockers.  Were I insulating the boat for cold-weather or liveaboard use, I'd have made different choices along the way.


Finally, now that I had trim in place in the passageway and entrance to the forward cabin, I prepared these areas for varnish, including the entire passageway and new trim pieces, plus the main bulkhead surfaces in the forward cabin.  The forward cabin sides still required additional trim, so I'd varnish those areas later.

With preparations (light sanding, masking, and cleanup) complete, I applied a coat of varnish to all areas.



Total Time Today:  6.75 hours

< Previous | Next >

The Motorsailer Project
Site design and content ©2010-2015 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.

Please notify me of broken or missing links or other site issues.
You can always find every day's project log links on The Project page.

Questions and comments | Home Page
V1.0 went live on 8/26/10