[ Home Page ]    [ History ]    [ The Project ]

Project Log:  Saturday, February 2, 2013

The pilothouse overhead panels had been stacked in a corner for a while, awaiting their final paint; I'd not had time nor inclination to do it.  So to get started, I lightly sanded the primer coat, then applied the first coat of semi-gloss white enamel to the panels.


Before getting going on other things in the engine room, I dismantled the last floor section and the cross beam at the aft end so I could get back beneath the cockpit to finish tying up the stern light wiring I'd run through a few weeks earlier.

While I had the whole thing taken apart and "good" access, I decided to do a couple other small jobs in the same area, beginning with the fuel line for the diesel boiler, which I'd held off installing to avoid excess clutter in the area, but now was as good a time as any, and this area--located at the port aft corner of the engine room--was hardly uncluttered anyway. 

From 1/8" annealed copper tubing, as specified by Webasto, I cut an appropriate length and secured it to the fittings--previously installed and ready--on the fuel tank and fuel filter assembly, using the supplied compression fittings.


AC electrical power was a low priority overall, and something that, while I planned to have it available on board in a limited sense "just because" and "just in case", we had few plans to really ever use shore power.  Still, the Isotemp water heater was also set up internally for 110V power, supplied through a convenient power cord with standard 3-prong plug.  So I'd long intended to install a GFI outlet nearby, and for a long time now had had the materials on hand.  For whatever reason, I'd never pre-installed the wiring box long ago when I'd obviously planned to, since I'd purchased the components, and, for other unknown reasons, I chose this moment to get it done.

This was a simple job...if I were doing it spread out on the bench in comfortable conditions and with good lighting, or in almost any other circumstance than the actual one I faced.  In the location I chose (mostly from necessity), the job was extremely difficult and challenging to the point of nearly proving impossible.  With the water heater located outboard of and above the engine room in the cluttered port aft corner, the outlet needed to be nearby, and the only logical mounting location was on the short transverse bulkhead just forward of the water heater.  Access was difficult, and the space was now filled with numerous hoses, wire chases, and so forth. 

After significant effort, dropped fasteners, drill contortions, and more fun, I somehow managed to screw the electrical box to the bulkhead--by for the hardest such "simple" installation I'd ever done--then ran in a 12/3 cable from the engine space and wired up the outlet (I could wire the outlet more in the open, then pushed the wires and outlet into place for final securing; it would have been impossible to wire the outlet in the tight space surrounding the box).   So even if I never used it, at least the water heater was available to be fired by 110V AC power.   This job just about killed me.

Also in the same area and requiring a pair of wires was the domestic water aquastat, located on the water heater.  This aquastat, which was to be wired into the heating system's thermostat, would trigger the boiler to kick in when it sensed cold water entering the tank.  So I ran in two wires along the same route as the nearby AC outlet I'd just wired, and secured them to the aquastat with spade connectors, then secured these wires along with the 12/3 from the outlet  to some wire mounts.


I led the water heater cable into the electrical panel space within the console and left the tail for now.  Then I led the two wires from the domestic aquastat to the destinations indicated by the wiring diagrams, which, along with a third wire that would eventually lead to the thermostat, pretty much finished up the wiring on the heater's wiring board in the engine room.  I led two wire tails into the console for later connection. 


Reviewing the wiring diagrams, I realized I'd made an error connecting the aquastat to the pilothouse fan heater earlier:  I'd wired in both the fan's positive and negative wires, but now I could see that the aquastat was designed to just be inline with the negative conductor.  So I removed the connections I'd made and rewired it the proper way.


I had a bit more wiring to complete in order to feel satisfied with this stage of the process.  There'd still be other wiring chores ahead, but for now I needed to complete the heating system's wiring with the thermostat and other final connections, and tie in the cable from the water heater to the  AC panel.  I'd sort these out next time.

Total Time Today:  4.5 hours

< Previous | Next >

The Motorsailer Project
Site design and content ©2010-2015 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.

Please notify me of broken or missing links or other site issues.
You can always find every day's project log links on The Project page.

Questions and comments | Home Page
V1.0 went live on 8/26/10