[ Home Page ]    [ History ]    [ The Project ]

Project Log:  Sunday, February 3, 2013

I began with the six overhead sections, lightly sanding and applying  a second coat of white paint.


Next, I continued the wiring project with the final wiring for the heating system and thermostat.  Following the wiring diagrams and my own existing layout, I secured the final wires, running two through the console to my chosen location for the thermostat control, on the after bulkhead in the main cabin.  To locate the control, I had to drill more or less blindly from the inside of the console, to avoid damaging wiring already in place within, so I made some basic measurements to help me locate a pilothole from inside.  Outside, I'd marked my hopeful location on some tape; the actual hole, thanks to obstructions within the console, ended up a little off the mark, but the exact location wasn't as important as a safe installation.



I terminated the ends of the 3-conductor AC cable from the water heater at the appropriate circuit breaker in the AC portion of the electrical panel.

As I'd worked my way though this extensive wiring project, I'd debated, on an ongoing basis, whether or not to "waste" time wiring up the three fuel tank senders I'd installed.  The fuel gauges were hardly a crucial installation, but at the same time it'd be nice to get the wiring done.  But with an end to the wiring in sight, and a desire to be done with the wiring within the console (at least in a major sense), I decided to press on and complete the gauge wiring.  Not that I don't enjoy wiring--I do, very much, but it was time for it to be done.

This was not a difficult task, with two wires required for each sender:  a ground, and the sender wire from the gauge itself.  In addition, there was a power supply required for each gauge, though those wires didn't need to go to the senders at the tanks, just to a power source of my choosing, which I'd get to in due course.

The only problem, as it were, was that the starboard fuel tank was far away and required a long wire.  To make wiring this sender easier, I ran only a single wire for the sender terminal, leading it though the after bulkhead to the tank space, beneath the cockpit, and along the port side of the engine room to the console;  hooked the ground wire to a nearby and convenient terminal block I'd installed for some of the cabin lighting.


I ran a sheathed wire pair from the console to the center tank beneath the cockpit, following the same path as the starboard sender wire, and made up the connections on each end as needed.  During a preliminary wiring stage, I'd already run the necessary wires from the gauges themselves down to a terminal block within the console, so now I just had to connect to the terminal block.


Completing the wiring, I installed the two wires needed for the port tank gauge.  For the three gauges' power supply, I used short lengths of wire to jump between the three such terminals on my terminal block, combining the three circuits into one for a trip up the console to the engine gauge panel, where I planned to install the wire to the appropriate terminal in the ignition circuit so the gauges would only run when the key switch was turned on.  If I'd thought about this long ago, and planned differently, I could have placed the three power supply wires next to one another on the terminal block and used metal jumpers between them, but I didn't want to move the wires now, and it was a cinch to make 2" long wire jumpers to accomplish the same thing.

I needed to find a wiring schematic for the panel before I could secure the wire end, so I installed the wire label and ring terminal and left it there for now.  Then, done with the wiring in the console (except for eventual AC circuits), I closed up the panel and, sick of the protective paper and feeling safe enough, removed the paper from the panel enclosure.


Total Time Today:  5.5 hours

< Previous | Next >

The Motorsailer Project
Site design and content ©2010-2015 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.

Please notify me of broken or missing links or other site issues.
You can always find every day's project log links on The Project page.

Questions and comments | Home Page
V1.0 went live on 8/26/10