[ Home Page ]    [ History ]    [ The Project ]

Project Log:  Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Continuing in the forward cabin, I prepared five new pieces of trim on the overhead around the hatch frame, covering the last of the overhead panel screw locations and seams.  The forwardmost pair was finicky to cut and fit, with the various angle cuts required at the outboard ends, but fortunately it was easy enough since I could run the trims long towards the centerline till I got the end cuts where they needed to be--it just took a lot of trips up and down the ladder.



Because it was not visible except to occupants of the forward bunk, I decided on a simpler approach for the last part of the overhead--those areas beneath the foredeck and sidedecks.  I could have covered all the panel screw locations with trim as I'd done in the other parts of the boat--where the overhead was highly visible--but here I thought that painting the exposed screw heads so they'd basically disappear would be fine, and I'd build cherry trim strips only to cover the longitudinal centerline seam and two short transverse seams between the panels.  The seams where the panels met the forward and after bulkheads were clean and required no trim for the sake of appearance, at least not in this location.

Starting with the centerline seam, I began by wrapping mitered trim around the edge of the square backing plate for the mooring bit, covering the edge of the plywood overhead panels there.  At either end, I cut and installed short lengths of trim to cover the centerline seam.

An interesting note about this backing plate, and the bolts from the mooring bit:  I installed the backing plate in the measured center of the space below decks (and it's therefore centered visually with the two overhead panels), and the mooring bit is centered in the raised portion of the foredeck from above decks.  There is obviously disparity between the two, as one can see by the bolt locations that are not centered on the backing plate.  I though having the bitt visually centered and in the right place overshadowed the minor asymmetry of the bolts in this not-really-visible location.  This was certainly not the first nor only place this sort of boat-y weirdness showed itself.

Finally, I cut and fitted the two shorter pieces of trim to cover two transverse seams further aft, and dabbed some paint on the screw heads in all the other locations.  I'd come back with another coat of paint as needed later.




Before closing down for the day, I cut some backing blocks from some scrap wood and glued them inside the starboard storage locker (formerly known as the hanging locker), one each at top and bottom centerline.  Once secure, these blocks would support the door catches.  The green tape marks the centerline, with an additional piece at the top to prevent glue from draining out before it cured.


Total Time Today:  3.25 hours

< Previous | Next >

The Motorsailer Project
Site design and content ©2010-2015 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.

Please notify me of broken or missing links or other site issues.
You can always find every day's project log links on The Project page.

Questions and comments | Home Page
V1.0 went live on 8/26/10