[ Home Page ]    [ History ]    [ The Project ]

Project Log:  Thursday, February 13, 2014

During the week, I applied several coats of varnish to the new running boards, one per day.  I'd keep going for a while before I called them "complete".




I decided to treat the raw bronze deadlight frames with clear Alexseal LPU to maintain their antiqued but bright appearance.  So with a small disposable sprayer I applied several coats during the day.  Meanwhile, I cleaned up the still-chromed inner trim rings to prepare them for installation.


To better prepare the boat for some of the deck work ahead, I cut and installed protective paper over the sidedecks and foredeck so I could dance around without so much worry about scuffing or dirtying the decks.  Not my favorite, nor the most satisfying, task, but one that would pay dividends when I stopped having to tiptoe around.  Among the deck tasks ahead was to get more varnish on the caprails, required before I could reinstall the stanchions and pulpits, which I needed to get to sooner than later so I could order new lifelines.


Meanwhile, I located parts required to complete the GPS and AIS/GPS antenna installations on the pilothouse, as I'd temporarily misplaced one of the mounting brackets (I found it).  I planned to install these soon as part of my effort to seal up all deck areas.

In the cabin, I started thinking about the head, the last untouched space in the boat.  While I still didn't know with what material or coating I'd treat the bulkheads in this space--with the goal of making it an essentially water resistant space to use as a shower without concern--it was time to start dealing with the shower pan, head platform, and through hulls.  I'd ordered the through hulls needed and would install them soon, once I determined how to lay out the platform.

I'd kept the original (still dirty and untouched) molded shower pan from the boat, which I could and would refinish and reuse for the head sole, and I'd build the rest of the area around this feature. 


Total Time Today:  2.75 hours

< Previous | Next >

The Motorsailer Project
Site design and content ©2010-2015 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.

Please notify me of broken or missing links or other site issues.
You can always find every day's project log links on The Project page.

Questions and comments | Home Page
V1.0 went live on 8/26/10