[ Home Page ]    [ History ]    [ The Project ]

Project Log:  Sunday, March 23, 2014

First off:  another coat of paint in the head.


I lightly sanded the new fiberglass in the chainlocker, then, from outside, redrilled the drain hole with a 3/8" bit.


I coated the new platform (and inside the drain hole) with epoxy-based gray primer so that I could get on with painting the entire chain locker sooner than later without worries of epoxy cure time and incompatibility with one-part paints.


I rounded the corners of the battery box tops, and eased some arcs into the smaller box's cover in way of the fuel filter bowls.


Because of the close fit of the smaller (starboard) box, I checked the cover in the boat.  While nothing touched the filters or fuel line, I thought the tolerances were a little close, so I brought the cover back down to the shop for some minor reshaping.


After enlarging slightly carved out areas around the fuel filter bowls, and removing some material beneath the fuel line running to the filter assembly, the fit was better.



Finally, I painted the bottoms and edges of the battery box tops.  I planned to install Treadmaster, a small supply of which I had leftover from some other job, on the top sides of the boxes since I anticipated walking on these boxes when working in the engine room going forward.

As I continued expunging items from the long work list, I turned to the engine room hatches, and sound insulation thereof.  Earlier, I'd marked the boundaries of the support beams on the bottoms of these panels, and to start the insulation process I milled pieces of mahogany to use as a protective surround for the insulation, then cut and fitted the pieces as needed to the three hatches, securing them with screws. 

On the two outboard hatches, I had to relieve the rails in several areas to clear some protruding bolt heads on the support beams, which locations I'd marked when I traced out the support beams whenever I did that, some time in the past.  Though I kept the frames inside the initial layout lines, I checked the fit of each hatch in turn to make sure they fit properly.  I chamfered the outside edges of the frames for appearance and to prevent corner damage or splintering.


From more of the same 2" thick sound insulation that I used elsewhere in the engine room, I cut the sections required for the three hatches, and covered the cut edges with mylar tape.  I loose-fitted them in their hatches; the curvature in the insulation, which had been stored rolled, would flatten out once I secured them in place within the frames.


I held off on installing the insulation for now, as I first wanted to paint the undersides of the hatches.


Total Time Today:  5 hours

< Previous | Next >

The Motorsailer Project
Site design and content ©2010-2015 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.

Please notify me of broken or missing links or other site issues.
You can always find every day's project log links on The Project page.

Questions and comments | Home Page
V1.0 went live on 8/26/10