[ Home Page ]    [ History ]    [ The Project ]

Project Log:  Monday, March 31, 2014

Continuing work on the head doorway, I spent some time dry-fitting the new door trim pieces, beginning with a solid sill at the bottom, on which I'd cut a small angle on the inside portion (on the head side of where the door stop would eventually end up), designed to shed water.  With the sill in place, I cut and fitted the side and top pieces, mitering the top corners.

Once I'd cut all the pieces properly, I installed them permanently.  First, I installed the sill, then installed the remaining pieces with glue and stainless brads that I drove into the area that would later be covered by the door stops.



Next, from 7/8" square stock that I'd prepared and seal-coated along with the trim, I installed the door stop all the way around the opening, friction-fitting the pieces and finally installing with glue and brads to hold them before installing flush bronze screws that held them, as well as the trim beneath, in place securely  I set the door stop 3/4" in from the outside edge, the thickness of the door.




Now that I had the final opening size, from stock I'd prepared earlier I cut to length rails and stiles for the door itself, allowing room for hinges as well as a small gap all the way around.  I planned a simple flat panel door, with two plywood panels and a simple frame.  I planned to use screws for added strength at the joints, so this meant I could dry-assemble the frame and easily test-fit it in the opening.  I found my first width measurement was a little tight at the top, so I slightly trimmed the three rails as needed.



With the pieces cut to their final lengths, I milled grooves on the inside edges, then cut 1/4" cherry plywood panels to fit.  I dry-fit the assembly to check the fit, but left final gluing for next time.


Total Time Today:  4.5 hours

< Previous | Next >

The Motorsailer Project
Site design and content ©2010-2015 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.

Please notify me of broken or missing links or other site issues.
You can always find every day's project log links on The Project page.

Questions and comments | Home Page
V1.0 went live on 8/26/10